Opinions on a cover shot?

The better shot?

• Photo 1

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • Photo 2

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
Had to ask because I don't think I've ever seen a square magazine.

In that case, #1 for the copy space.

Had to ask because I don't think I've ever seen a square magazine.

In that case, #1 for the copy space.

It's printed on newspaper stock, it's not a magazine. It's a monthly supplement to our weekly publication. The dimensions are 10.85" x 11".

Maybe that will clear up why it's shaped the way it is.

You work for a paper? Not exactly something a beginner photographer does.

Wrong forum.

Thanks for your lack of input.

I may work for a paper, but I had just recently got into photography in the last 7-8 months, and I am completely self taught and still learning a lot. I don't see how this pollutes the forum or is the "wrong forum". I needed a cover choice and this seems to be a fairly active place to get ideas.

Active doesn't mean that it's the correct forum to post in.

And if everyone posts in this forum because it's active, then what is the point of the other forums even exsisting.

And if everyone posts in this forum because it's active, then what is the point of the other forums even exsisting.

Congrats, you are 100% correct. Active doesn't mean it's the correct forum to post in.

But seeing as how I am fairly new to the world of photography, this is the correct forum to post in as far as I am concerned. I'm not a "professional photographer". I haven't gone to school for anything photography related. I technically am a beginner. This is the beginners forum.

It seems like you basically posted in this thread to tell me that it's the wrong forum, when it really isn't.

I like #2 because the picture is unique'er but it looks pretty busy right now. Have you ever consider substituting these texts "Indian Maine Sumer bla..bla.." with smaller fonts size & perhaps using green or blue font color or making it one liner & more subtle? This might help uncluttered the pic. Or push the blue sky higher to free up more space.

Congrats, you are 100% correct. Active doesn't mean it's the correct forum to post in.

But seeing as how I am fairly new to the world of photography, this is the correct forum to post in as far as I am concerned. I'm not a "professional photographer". I haven't gone to school for anything photography related. I technically am a beginner. This is the beginners forum.

It seems like you basically posted in this thread to tell me that it's the wrong forum, when it really isn't.

Attitudes like this make this the awesomest place in the world.

/thread

I like #2 because the picture is unique'er but it looks pretty busy right now. Have you ever consider substituting these texts "Indian Maine Sumer bla..bla.." with smaller fonts size & perhaps using green or blue font color or making it one liner & more subtle? This might help uncluttered the pic. Or push the blue sky higher to free up more space.

Thank you for the ideas, but I am having trouble trying to visualize what you mean with the blue/green fonts. Wouldn't that just blend in with the sky/grass? Could you elaborate a little more, I'd like to know what you mean.

/thread

Okay...? I guess I am sorry that your first post in this thread was unnecessary and uninformed. Also, "/thread"-ing is pretty juvenile. You could have simply apologized for jumping to conclusions, but I guess that was out of the realm of possibility for you.

Thank you for the ideas, but I am having trouble trying to visualize what you mean with the blue/green fonts. Wouldn't that just blend in with the sky/grass? Could you elaborate a little more, I'd like to know what you mean.

/thread

Okay...? I guess I am sorry that your first post in this thread was unnecessary and uninformed. Also, "/thread"-ing is pretty juvenile. You could have simply apologized for jumping to conclusions, but I guess that was out of the realm of possibility for you.

Unnecessary and uniformed? You may be right...I figured that people posting about which photo should be published in their paper were not noobs and were discussing business, but by the quality, I should have figured out what was really going on.

The first photo is nearly under exposed except for the white in the flower, which coincindentally is the only part that is in focus. With the shallow DOF and that section almost over exposed to where you can't make much out, you have a blurry picture of a flower.

The second photo is just boring. The sky is exposed properly...that's about all I can say it has going for it. What might actually apply as the subject of the photo, the brown splotch in the middle, is just a brown splotch. It says nothing about mid coast living...that is unless mid coast living is all about being bland and lacking personality.

That's what I was initially going to post.

But then again, there's this big long thread about how the Noob Toob has become pretty much the only active part of these forums and how it's really killing the rest of the forumd because of thoughtlessness, lack of insight, and rudeness of all the new people that are posting here that shouldn't be or either can't use the search button.

Sorry, I have no way to add picture onto this thread. Double sorry if I butcher up your image. I just added the text to try to express what I meant since you asked.
Again, this is just my opinion, I am no expert at all.

Clipboard01.jpg (image)

/thread

Unnecessary and uniformed? You may be right...I figured that people posting about which photo should be published in their paper were not noobs and were discussing business, but by the quality, I should have figured out what was really going on.

The first photo is nearly under exposed except for the white in the flower, which coincindentally is the only part that is in focus. With the shallow DOF and that section almost over exposed to where you can't make much out, you have a blurry picture of a flower.

The second photo is just boring. The sky is exposed properly...that's about all I can say it has going for it. What might actually apply as the subject of the photo, the brown splotch in the middle, is just a brown splotch. It says nothing about mid coast living...that is unless mid coast living is all about being bland and lacking personality.

But then again, there's this big long thread about how the Noob Toob has become pretty much the only active part of these forums and how it's really killing the rest of the forumd because of thoughtlessness, lack of insight, and rudeness of all the new people that are posting here that shouldn't be or either can't use the search button.

Teaching people how not to be rude by being rude yourself. Interesting concept. :lol:

Teaching people how not to be rude by being rude yourself. Interesting concept. :lol:

I started out as nice. Well, as nice as I can be anyways.

Bitter much? Give me your mailing address so I can send you a box of tissues and you can continue to cry about all the teen angst you have pent up inside.

Oh, and you may want to work on giving critique. You do it in a way that Clippy the Microsoft Help paperclip describes best.

Clippydouchebag2.jpg

He can also probably help with your spelling/grammar.

Also, to wet-

I looked at the image, and I see what you were talking about now. I like the idea, and will run it by the editor. Although, I can't say I am crazy about the font. Thanks!

Bitter much? Give me your mailing address so I can send you a box of tissues and you can continue to cry about all the teen angst you have pent up inside.

Oh, and you may want to work on giving critique. You do it in a way that Clippy the Microsoft Help paperclip describes best.

Clippydouchebag2.jpg

He can also probably help with your spelling/grammar.

Also, to wet-

I looked at the image, and I see what you were talking about now. I like the idea, and will run it by the editor. Although, I can't say I am crazy about the font. Thanks!

See, there's the other part of that big long post about what's wrong the TPF. It's people that can't take critique unless it's "Great pic!!!" or "Nice snap!!!" They just seem to get bitter anyone has anything negative to say about their mediocre photos.

Well, as nice as I can be anyways.

I think I will agree with that.

I don't know what kind of paper Shepherdstown has but you don't have to go very far across the state line to find amateur photographers working for a paper. When the photos are not shot by the editor who is also the writer, designer and a pretty bad photographer, they come from someone from the community and they are not very good.

So you started with an assumption. And that is fine as it happens to most of us. But there was no need to be rude when you found out you were wrong when a simple sorry would have worked just fine.

See, there's the other part of that big long post about what's wrong the TPF. It's people that can't take critique unless it's "Great pic!!!" or "Nice snap!!!" They just seem to get bitter anyone has anything negative to say about their mediocre photos.

To be fair, he never even asked for C&C. Only to choose between the two, with a poll added. :greenpbl:

Don't mind me, just adding fuel to the fire.

Most reactions

Back