Opinions on Canon 10d

puckhed33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of getting a 10d for a starter dlsr.
Any opinions on this camera are welcome.
I've also heard of firmware upgrades or hacks.
Are there any for the 10d and what do they do? :confused:

A 10D would be a good starter DSLR, but I'll let the Canonites tell you about that. They might tell you to go with a Rebel, but you should go with what makes more sense to you.

I sold my 10D when I went back to film. Prior to that I'd had an early 2 Mpix point and shoot, and while the 10D was obviously capable of much better images than that, I found that a lot of effort was required in Photoshop to really make the best of it. I've seen other people reporting similar experiences with their first dSLR; maybe I gave up too soon.

The other frustration with the 10D is that it is pretty slow to start up. Even when the camera was switched on but in 'sleep' mode, the time taken for it to be ready to take a shot made me miss the decisive moment a few times. I dare say that more recent dSLRs are better.

On the plus side, it is really well built, with an alloy body that seems very durable, and a steel lens mount.

A 20D can be had quite cheaply these days since the 350, 400 and 5D all came out and started pushing the price down.
As an owner of a 20D for around 18months (but never a 10D) i can only say that the 20D is a great camera and an excellent buy.

I realise that's not an answer to your original question but it may give you another option.

The 10D is quite capable, but as said, if you can find a 20D in your price range, that would be a better choice. The 10D does not have firmware hacks. The Digital Rebel has firmware hack to unlock "some" of the features of the 10D.

I appreciate everyones input on this subject. I agree that the 20d would definitely be the better option. I did however find a 10d body with original box cd maual etc for $300. Seems pretty reasonable.
I'll be posting pics as soon as it arrives. I'm sure I'll also have questions for those more adept than I.
I am so glad this forum exists I'm going to donate as soon as I can.

Most reactions

Back