opinions on nikon d700?

cwindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This would be my first full frame camera which I can pick up second hand with only 8k shutter counts. I will also have the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 lens on order once purchased the camera. Wanted to know your opinions on it? A photographer told me, the best camera he owned! (I shoot equine photography so fast moving subject ect!)

haven't you asked this multiple times before ?
You'll definitely do alot better than your current camera/lens setup.
the d700 is a great camera and with a great lens you'll do great as the AF is much better with that lens.

The only thing I think people mentioned is if you have to crop a lot. The 12mp is not like a d6x0 or d750 at 24mp.

D700 is a great camera but just doesn't have the dynamic range or high-ISO capabilities of the newer cameras. But I love the images I get with my D700.

Great camera and a good one to get if you want to save some $$$ upgrading to full frame.

the D700 is a great camera, but I would also look at used D600's.
when I got both of my D600's, each time i also looked at D700's and the prices were so close that it just didnt make sense not to get a D600 over the D700. The D700 does have a few advantages over the D600 in terms of build quality and AF systems, but overall the newer sensor and better ISO performance made the D600 a better choice for me.
If you can get a D700 for significantly less than a D600 I say go for it. if the prices are really close, as they were when I was looking, I would go with a used D600.

In my city, brick and mortar used D600 bodies are at $900, $950, and $1150 with accessories. Right now, today, a D700 body is a one-item model for $1200 asking price. I dunno...I kind of like the D700 as "a body"...but the image quality of the much newer D600 and D610 sensor seems like a good tradeoff for the somewhat more "consumer-y" origins of the D600/D610 series. 8k shutter is practically new, meaning the owner didn't shoot much, so I expect the camera is in good shape. He probably never even cleaned the sensor. Seriously. 8,000 clicks? In what universe?

Honestly...unless you wear eyeglasses when you shoot, I would pick a D600 every time; if you DO wear eyeglasses, as I do, the D700 viewfinder is better. Plus, the D600 has a better LCD screen, higher image quality, a bigger, cleaner file and yet, a "reasonable" file size.

For me, since soon after DSLRs hit 12 MP or so, the image sensor MP, dynamic range, ISO, etc has moved well down the list of camera features I consider important.

D700, nice but old, still capable but old.
Compared to the D610 its old.
Unless its super, super cheap I would get a used D610.

Unless you're looking for a higher FPS, better weather sealing, or just flat like the controls of the D700 / Nikon Pro bodies, the D600 is the clear winner in my book. I have both and always reach for the D600 first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back