Opinions please :)

kayliana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Digital Canon rebel xsi. I was wondering what a good external flash would be, that isn't too expensive. Thanks :)

Normally, I'd say Canon 430. It isn't VERY expensive and will do the job. But recently on the job saw a guest with this flash
FACSB829.JPG
and when we started talking about, she's a commercial photographer who had experience with various units and this being the "best one" she'd ever used. I never had a 1st hand experience with it.
Good Luck

I will also recommend the Canon 430EX.

There are some off-brand units that will work, and are less expensive, but most that I've seen, don't feel as well built as the Canon units.

If you mainly plan on using the flash, on the camera's hotshoe, then I'd certainly suggest you get one that is E-TTL compatible.

dont have first hand experience with this, but it appears to be a cheap ttl alternative to the canon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-Digital-Swivel-Bounce-Auto-Focus/dp/B001TP6TDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271286589&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Vivitar DF383 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Power Zoom /Swivel /Bounce Auto-Focus Flash for Canon TTL, Guide Number 45m (147'): Electronics[/ame]

seems to get favorable reviews at amazon.

Would anyone consider a used 420EX an option?

The Sunblitz has a single pin which would suggest no compatibility with Canon's E-TTL. I can't find much info on it but it doesn't seem like anything special than the typical X-sync flash that you'd see in use decades ago. Its has a guide no of 84 but it does have a built in optical.

If you go with with a flash like the sunblitz, I'd make sure that the power is adjustable with at least a guide no of 100... similar features to that of the vivitar 285HV.

Most reactions

Back