Opinions Wanted: Filter or Photoshop

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bp4life71, Nov 5, 2009.

1. bp4life71

bp4life71 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Im looking at buying a polarized filter for use in taking some landscape/sky shots. Do you think its worth buying a filter, or should I just do the post-editing of picture which still gets you the same thing? Or does the filter add more pop?

What would you guys do? Photoshop or filter?

Thanks.

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    editing is not going to help with the issues that a polarizing filter corrects.

other filters, i.e. those used with black and white are best done with post processing.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A polarizing filter is one of the few filters that is difficult or impossible to fully duplicate with digital editing. That's why it's the only filter I use on a regular basis. Definitely worth getting.

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have yet to see a post-processing technique which will duplicate the appearance of a Circular Polarizer. I personally feel that this filter is a required part of the outdoor photographer's kit.

5. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

I am no expert in photoshop but I dont think you can truely replicate a polarizer in PS. The effect of a CPL is not just darker blue skies. But also with water features, window glass, or reflections off shiney objects. The CPL helps you control the effect one way or the other (want the reflection or don't want the reflection).

I would suggest you grab a CPL (at least a multicoated version). I have learned by actual use the good ones are better than the el cheapo ones. The el cheapo ones will give you some good use. But you can definately tell the difference between them and a good Hoya or B+W.

I would even think a el cheapo CPL is better than trying to replicate in PS.

6. bp4life71

bp4life71 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey..thanks for the quick responses guys/gals. I'll be picking one up at my local walmart. Once I see how it plays out for the photography i'll be doing, i'll pick up the Hoya or bh quality filter.

Walmart brand one is like 9.00....if I even like the look a little bit, then the quality filters will be just that much better.

Thanks.

7. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

If you're going to go Wal-Mart, just don't get one. Save for a nicer, higher quality glass. You will be able to see the effect with a $9 one from Wal-Mart, but the quality of glass sucks.

~Michael~

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I would be to disagree with Michael; I think it's unfair to say that, "the quality of glass sucks". That's not being fair to the makers of higher quality filters. A more appropriate and more accurate statement would be, "the quality (snicker) of the glass SUCKS!!!!!!!!!"

9. bp4life71

bp4life71 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thats exactly what I want...i want to see if the effect is what i'm looking for....so the 9.00 walmart brand one is PERFECT.

Then go buy the good stuff. Money isnt the issue at all. I'm just checking to see that I like the effect, as opposed to what I can do in Photoshop.

If I like the effect, i'll then by the higher quality filter. No need in spending money on a high priced filter only to find out that I dont like the effect.

Thanks.

10. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What is beig commonly used by pro landscape photographers at the moment is the warming polarizer which reduces the blue haze in many scenic shots.

skieur

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Here's what a $14-$25 cheap Brand-X circular polarizing filter can do....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...oto-gallery/181815-cant-focus-cpl-200-mm.html

I understand the idea behind wanting to spend $9 to see if the effect is what you want, I truly do. It's just that a circular polarizer (often abbreviated as CPL or CircPol or CPol) needs fairly high precision manufacture and frame mounting, or it can cause a tremendous loss of sharpness. The first cheap polarizer I bought was a $40 "second-tier brand" one back in 1985. I shot some photos with it, and noticed that the images were,well, not very good. I had good lenses. Surely it wasn't that hard to make a good polarizer!!

I took a few slides down to my local photo shop where a man well over twice my age said, and I'll never forget this. "The bitterness of low quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten." [Thank you, Walt B.! for that lesson]. He sold me a used "oversized" Nikon polarizer,and the quality difference was in a word, astounding.

12. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmmm ... in that case .... there's this 600mm f4 I've had my eye on ...