Oprah

nabero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm working on a paper and I'm wondering if some of your could give me your thoughts on a topic. It's not related to photography...at all...but I thought what the heck, maybe some of you have an opinion. I'll post a short survey here...please feel free to take it! Post it as a reply to this thread, or send it to me in a private message. If I can get as many of these as possible (I'm passing these out in person as well) hopefully I can use the results in my paper!

Nabero

Before this survey, had you heard of the Oprah Book Club?
__Yes
__No

Have you ever read a book because it was recommended by the Oprah Book Club?
__Yes
__No

If yes, how many books have you read per the recommendation of the Oprah Book Club?
__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+

James Frey’s memoir “A Million Little Pieces” became controversial after being listed on Oprah’s Book Club. Have you heard of this incident and has it changed the way you perceive Frey’s work?
__Yes, I’ve heard about it but it doesn’t bother me.
__Yes, I’ve heard about it and it bothers me.
__No, I haven’t heard about it.
Please Explain:

What are your overall impressions of the Oprah Book Club?
__Positive
__Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain:

__Yes
__No
yes

__Yes
__No
no

If yes, how many books have you read per the recommendation of the Oprah Book Club?
__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+
n/a

James Frey’s memoir “A Million Little Pieces” became controversial after being listed on Oprah’s Book Club. Have you heard of this incident and has it changed the way you perceive Frey’s work?
Please Explain:
no, I haven't heard about it.

__Positive
__Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain:
Neutral; I know that it exists, but other than that I have no interest in it.

My answers in bold.

__Yes
__No

__Yes
__No

__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+

Please Explain:

__Positive
__Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain: I don't like Oprah so I don't anything associated with her.
I haven't heard from you in forever.. how have you been?

__Yes
__No
yes

__Yes
__No
no

__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+
n/a

Please Explain:
Yes, I’ve heard about it but it doesn’t bother me

It's a book for goodness sake. I believe the final verdict was that most of the responsibility lies on the publisher to determine what genre a book should be classified under. Perhaps the author should have been more adamant that it was not 100% the truth -I don't know. I haven't read his book but it is on a list of 'to reads' regardless of that incidence.

__Positive
__Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain:
Neutral.

Hey guys,

I'm working on a paper and I'm wondering if some of your could give me your thoughts on a topic. It's not related to photography...at all...but I thought what the heck, maybe some of you have an opinion. I'll post a short survey here...please feel free to take it! Post it as a reply to this thread, or send it to me in a private message. If I can get as many of these as possible (I'm passing these out in person as well) hopefully I can use the results in my paper!

Nabero

_X_Yes
__No

__Yes
_X_No

__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+

_X_No, I haven’t heard about it.
Please Explain:

__Positive
_X_Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain:

I wish I could explain better but she is not someone who gets my attention while watching TV.

Hey guys,

Nabero

_X_Yes
__No

_X_Yes
__No

_X_1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+

_X_Yes, I’ve heard about it but it doesn’t bother me.
Please Explain:
It doesn't matter to me if the story is real or if the story is fake. Autobiography or fiction novel, it was a very interesting read. (this wasnt the book i read because it was in the oprah book club)

__Positive
__Neutral
_X_Negative
Please Explain:

i read a book she recommended and i HATED it. i thought i'd give it a try before i made a judgment. i read an anita shrieve book called the pilot's wife. at least, thats what i think it was called. holy moly did i want to hurt myself as the book went on. it was interesting for a bit, but the turn it took made no sense and was dumb and led to more dumb things which led to feelings and more feelings and more feelings. and really, who cares. i find most books written for the middle-aged female demographic to be sappy and boring and a waste of time.

Thank you all for your replies! They're all very interesting :)

Oprah's Book Club has had a huge influence over publishing (at least in the United States), but the idea I get from most people is that they really don't care about it. How so many people can not care about it and these books still sell in absurd numbers is pretty baffling (or interesting if you're me haha).

I'd love to get more responses! It only takes a minute :) Thanks!!

Hey guys,

Nabero

Yes
__No

__Yes
No

__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+
N\A

Yes, I’ve heard about it but it doesn’t bother me.
Please Explain:

__Positive
__Neutral
Negative
Please Explain:
The only thing I can tell about the book club is whatever she decides on a whim needs to be read automatically gets her name on it, and triples in price. On a side note, the only book I've read that was on the list was Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and that was excellent. (Read it for school...paid triple the cost it used to be)

_X_Yes
__No

_X_Yes
__No

__1-5
_X_5-10
__15-25
__25+

_X_Yes, I’ve heard about it but it doesn’t bother me.
Please Explain:

_X_Positive
__Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain: I enjoy reading, and Oprah has good taste in books. I have read quite a few books that got put on her list after I read them. I don't read the 'self help' type books though.

X Yes
__No

__Yes
X No

__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+

X Yes, I’ve heard about it and it bothers me.
Please Explain:

__Positive
X Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain:[/quote]

Couldn't care less about her choices and what she likes, though I do find it sad/interesting/irritating that the second she gives something her stamp of approval that it jumps to the top of the charts.

_x_Yes
__No

__Yes
_x_No

__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+
NA

_x_No, I haven’t heard about it.
Please Explain:

__Positive
_x_Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain:

1 Yes
2 No
3 NA
4 No
5 Neg
I wouldnt use anything associated with Oprah.

* Yes
__No

__Yes
* No

__1-5
__5-10
__15-25
__25+

** Yes, I’ve heard about it and it bothers me.
Please Explain:
** I've only heard of it....but I gather he lied. I have a problem with lying....when you claim it's the truth.

* Positive
__Neutral
__Negative
Please Explain:
* What could be bad about encouraging people to read?

:O)

Most reactions

Back