Opteka lenses

No. I hire business advisors.

Might be time to consider hiring some new ones. Sounds like the old ones may not be giving such sound advice.

One thing to consider with the cost of high end lenses is that they are built to far more exacting standards. Consumer grade lenses are pretty much automated, off the assembly line built. Pro grade lenses, on the other hand, have very tight tolerances and are inspected at various stages throughout the production process. As a result the production costs are a lot higher than you might think. The manufacturing process for a professional grade lens is complex and the tolerances to which they are built are very tight. When you spend that much money on a lens you expect it to be perfect, out of the box - and for it to keep working for years and years to come.

This is for television camera lenses, but the process is the same for still and video camera lenses.

Might be time to consider hiring some new ones. Sounds like the old ones may not be giving such sound advice.

One thing to consider with the cost of high end lenses is that they are built to far more exacting standards. Consumer grade lenses are pretty much automated, off the assembly line built. Pro grade lenses, on the other hand, have very tight tolerances and are inspected at various stages throughout the production process. As a result the production costs are a lot higher than you might think. The manufacturing process for a professional grade lens is complex and the tolerances to which they are built are very tight. When you spend that much money on a lens you expect it to be perfect, out of the box - and for it to keep working for years and years to come.

I don't argue with any of that. It is a question of degree. The high end lenses should cost more but not 10 or 20 times more. That is a matter of gross profit, not production cost.

I have a Rokinon 8mm fish that I am quite pleased with the IQ.

_GP19287.jpg

_GP18034-XL.jpg

_GP18114.jpg

_GP18052.jpg

I don't argue with any of that. It is a question of degree. The high end lenses should cost more but not 10 or 20 times more. That is a matter of gross profit, not production cost.
According to whom? Without really knowing what production costs are it's a bit hard to judge, but even if they make high margins, what difference does it make? Aren't they allowed to charge whatever the market will bare for they efforts, just as you do?

Or would you prefer to allow someone else to dictate to you what your work is worth?

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

According to whom? Without really knowing what production costs are it's a bit hard to judge, but even if they make high margins, what difference does it make? Aren't they allowed to charge whatever the market will bare for they efforts, just as you do?

Or would you prefer to allow someone else to dictate to you what your work is worth?

According to me. Of course the manufacturer and distribution chain can charge anything they wish. What difference does it make? Ask the photographer putting out $10,000 for a lens. Is there an ignore button on this site?

According to me. Of course the manufacturer and distribution chain can charge anything they wish. What difference does it make? Ask the photographer putting out $10,000 for a lens. Is there an ignore button on this site?
You really need to make up your mind here. First your basing this off hired business consultants and now apparently your citing your own expertise on being the final arbiter of what is a fair market price when frankly I seriously doubt you even know what the production costs on the aforementioned lenses even are.

There are plenty of photographers out there that shoot for free or ridiculously low rates. Do you think it would be fair then to base your prices on that even though you provide a higher quality product?

Or do you think it's fair for people to decry you as being greedy and money grubbing for charging more when they don't even have a clue as to what your costs are and further ignore the quality differences?

ENOUGH

Return to talking about the optical quality of the lenses - lets leave this daft side- discussion/debate/argument out of the thread now.

I like good lenses. Especially with bacon.

I have a Rokinon 8mm fish that I am quite pleased with the IQ.

_GP19287.jpg

_GP18034-XL.jpg

_GP18114.jpg

_GP18052.jpg
Some fish have fairly high IQs as far as fish go (cichlids in particular), just keep it on ice or it will spoil quickly. :)

NOTICE - Bickering removed. If you want to squabble and argue take it to PMs only. Also if you put a user on ignore that's the end of the matter - you don't need to start telling them or parading the fact around. Ignore them and move on and that's the end of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back