Orchids in Spring

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by cloudten, Feb 26, 2005.

1. cloudten

cloudten TPF Noob!

hi all. im new to this forum.. .first thing ive posted here. this picture is from my first ever roll of 35mm film taken in my SLR. im a beginner, so any comments/critique is greatly welcomed. =)

[​IMG]

pentax k1000
    fuji sensja 100
    f2.8 at 1/60 second
    optimized on adobe photoshop 7.0

2. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I think it would help if it was all in focus, or if you cropped it all out except the focused part. The blur is pretty distracting. Your composition seems to be good though.

3. BadRotation

BadRotation TPF Noob!

Personally, I like how the focused flower looks against the background. I think if you get them all focused, it will look great.

Im a newbie as well (I have a canon AE-1, but now I just got my EOS 20D a couple weeks ago, and I am pretty much learning it all over again.)

4. will965

will965 TPF Noob!

I love the composition and colours against the dark backgorund but I agree that the out of focus flowers are quite distracting.

5. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

the little vine hanging in front of the orchid in focus is very distracting and detracts from what could be a lovely photo otherwise.

i'd try to keep the line of sight to your target clear unless your target was actually the vine in front. a simple shift to a side could have captured a similar scene without the offending vine like thingy.

if you were going for the entire bunch of flowers to be in focus, then A) you kinda missed that mark B) it would be a bit too cluttered and lacking of focus. my eyes would be left wandering around wondering what to look at.

good first attempt though :) keep trying! :)

6. chroix

chroix In Latin it's "spikius conius thingonius"

The depth of field is nice as is the exposure but the compostion is odd. the focus is on the flower that is behind the stem. that looks weird and distracts from the picture. great first shots.. even though i don't believe you..