Ordered my XTi, now for the lens...

cosmicmama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took the plunge! I just ordered my Canon Rebel XTi, got the body from BuyDig for $591. I also ordered the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. Since I've got a couple hundred left in my budget, I want to go ahead and get a telephoto lens. I tend to take alot of action shots of the kids, and they are in soccer right now. I found this on Amazon for $170...75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens ....does anybody have any opinions on this lens? Or am I better off sticking with the 50 mm until I can afford a higher end telephoto lens?

Ordered huh? That means a waiting period, bet you can't wait to have the camera in your hands? :D No opinions of that lens, but you'll have fun with your new camera.

You'll have great fun with the 50mm f/1.8. It's a fantastic lens for the price you pay, I'm going to pick one up soon. Unless you get right up to your kids in their football game, the 50mm f/1.8 isn't going to suffice. The 75-300 lens doesn't seem too bad, but I have no experience with it. Apologies.

Have fun with your new camera.

Get the 50. It's a super fun lens, and gives you lots of freedom in any light situation. That lens is pretty cheap you're lookin at...but I guess you could look at it that way too...that you can start out cheap....

Either way, the 50 is a great buy.

Well, that the 75-300 is the long "kit" lens often offered as a package deal at Best Buy and the like. I cannot personally comment on the quality, but just consider at the long end of the lens you are the fastest is 5.6, so in daylight this will probably be fine for action, but If it is anything but sunny, you may have so drop your shutter speed, deal with a bit of blur, or bump ISO, and accept a bit of noise.

Really though, Just for taking you casual shots of friends and family , most of the time it will probably be just fine, especially for the price.

Maybe someone who has this lens can comment and post some sample pictures from similar shooting situations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back