Ordering from Adorama?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Markw, May 16, 2009.

1. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was thinking about ordering some prints from Adorama. I know they are very reputible as far as regular buying is concerned, but how high of quality are their prints? Also, if anyone knows, whats the difference between their 'Endura Matte' and 'Enduraq Lustre' prints?

Thanks
    Mark

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Matte has no sheen. Lustre has some sheen and is usually a coating. Glossy has a lot of sheen.

I've never gotten prints made at Adorama Pics.

I use Miller's Professional Imaging or www.mpix.com Miller's online consumer outlet. Many professional portrait and senior photographers use Mpix. Their quality and customer service for consumers is unsurpassed and many pro labs are hard pressed to do better too.

I am not a rep for either.

3. HelenOster

HelenOster No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dear Mark

When someone sets up a new account with AdoramaPix (which is FREE!) they get 25 free prints. Many people use these free 4x6s to order some prints on all the different paper types. We usually recommend that you print something that you have already seen in print, that way you can compare. The only paper type we don't offer in a 4x6 size is the Silk.

The silk paper is more matte than our Lustre paper. The Kodak Endura Supra Lustre has a slight sheen to it, not as much as the Metallic or Glossy, but it's a good all around paper, a very fine surface texture and closest to "semi-gloss."

I'm not absolutely certain as to the difference between 'Endura Matte' and 'Enduraq Lustre', but I'm checking it out and will come back to you as soon as I have a response back.

If you'd like to email me with your mailing address, I can pass it along and see that you get some samples.

Hope this helps! Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

4. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not Helen, nor do I work with or for her (ie. I don't work or have anything to do with Adorama :D)

Helen mentioned the 25 free prints and said people use them to print the various different papers. Wish I thought of that when I sent photos for print, I would have done that. I just sent for prints.

What I did do was sent 3 identical images (1 color, 1 B&W, and 1 antiqued processed) to 3 different companies, to Adorama, to a highly recommended other printer, and to a printer that is more general population oriented.

My results were that I was floored at the Adorama print quality over the other 2 printers (remember, the one was a very highly recommended and very often recommended printer.) I did have color correction marked at all 3 printers and do not have my monitor hardware calibrated. It is calibrated using a website, the best I could do.

When I put the Adorama prints next to my monitor, they were spot on. They looked exactly as they did to the screen when I processed them. In comparison, the highly recommended site were great prints but they were oversaturated with the colors and didn't match my screen. The general population printer was the cheapest and it showed in the quality of the prints. You could clearly see areas that were very pixelated and no longer sharp.

I also had some 8x10 photos printed with that batch of free 25 prints at Adorama and they were stunning as well. Unfortunately, I have a ton of images uploaded to Adorama, but haven't had the ability to order any prints since then. I was happy enough (I was extremely happy...) that I won't bother with trying any other sites out and plan to stick with Adorama for future printing.

Again, I have no affiliation with Adorama, but when I get something I am extremely happy with, I want to express it. And I was extremely happy with the prints from Adorama.

5. HelenOster

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have your answer - thanks to Ingrid at AdoramaPix....

Kodak Endura Matt(tm) is a matt surface, not a lot of shine to it at all. Kodak Endura Lustre(tm) is like a semi-gloss, slight gloss with a very, very fine texture. They are both on the Endura paper, just a different finish, as is the Silk. The Metallic is an entirely different paper type.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely

Helen Oster

www.adorama.com

6. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've printed plenty of photos through AdoramaPix. They do very good work, and have pretty good customer service as well (as you've seen here!). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Give the free 25 prints a try, and be sure to try a variety of images. Pay attention to the colors and make sure they're being reproduced as you expect.

7. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone! I didnt expect to get this many replies. Im thinking I will give the 25 prints a go as I have already signed up about a week ago, ang get back to everyone so I can decide which paper type to get my 8x12s on. My question is, when I get them in, if I get an identical print on all paper types, how will I know which paper type was used for each? Or should I get different pictures with the different paper types?

Mark

8. mrodgers

Photos OK to edit
    Don't hold me to this, but I believe it is printed on the back of the paper/photo.

9. HelenOster

Photos NOT OK to edit

Actually, they aren't. The "Pro" papers are marked Endura Professional but the different surfaces are not denoted. Most people put some text on the photo itself for the different versions, like a small note in the bottom corner "Lustre" or "Matt".

Sincerely

Helen Oster

www.adorama.com

10. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats what I was going to do. Multiple prints of the same photo with the name of the paper edited on, but when I go to order, it says that all the pictures in the series have to be of the same paper type. Frankly, I dont want to have to pay different shipping on all four 4x6s just to see the paper difference. :lol:

Mark

11. mrodgers

Photos OK to edit
    Helen corrected me on the last one, maybe she will on this one too... So, don't hold me on this...

I believe that you set several jobs, each one with the different papers. Then the shipping charge is applied overall to the whole order. When I ordered, I printed mostly 4x6 on the Lustre paper, one on Metalic because I've heard so much about it, and some 8x10's all in separate jobs. All 3 jobs were then on the same order and shipping was applied to the order.

Looking at my past order now. 3 separate jobs on the order of three 8x10s on Lustre, 31 4x6 on Matte (25 were the free prints), and one 4x6 on Metalic. Shipping was $3.95.

12. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh! I had no Idea. Hopefully she will correct just to make sure. If so, I will be doing this as I just bought a portfolio and would like to get the 8x12s printed out for it.

Mark