Organ Donation

Darfion said:
I could always donate my hair. :headbang: Obvious really

I already do that. or want to. I have a foot long pony tail and I don't know what to do with it exactly? I heard that locks of love sells a lot of the hair they get and they don't even make that many wigs a year. plus i would rather it be to a canadian place.

i try to donate blood..but 5 years ago I had a BAD experience (my first time too).... :(

It really doesn't matter what you have on your drivers license. When the time comes, it's up to your next of kin as to whether you become a donor or not. Consequently, its very important to let your next of kin know your wishes now - either way, they can still overrule you once you're gone.

photong said:
i try to donate blood..but 5 years ago I had a BAD experience (my first time too).... :(

I didn't do well on my first try either, but I tried again a few years later and it was fine. Make sure to drink a lot of water and eat well before hand, it really helps :D

SWFLA1 said:
It really doesn't matter what you have on your drivers license. When the time comes, it's up to your next of kin as to whether you become a donor or not. Consequently, its very important to let your next of kin know your wishes now - either way, they can still overrule you once you're gone.

True. I'm probably in the minority (but I could be wrong about that) but I have legal documents that specify exactly what I want done in the event that I am unable to make decisions about my own health care or if I were to die. Signed, notarized and on file with the proper people. The only one that can make decisions beyond what I've specified knows exactly what I want and I have no doubt that he would honor those wishes if something happened to me.

I have a living will, too Tammy. It's nice to have. After the baby is born we have to redo all the wills but my personal wishes are known.

i believe in organ donation... when my father passed away, they asked us, and my brothers just looked at me...i said, please yes...he gave in life, why not in death..as a result, we recieved letters from people who had recvd stuff..and how it changed their life... one was a grandmother, that recvd a cornea...she was able to see her children for the first time in 20 years, and grandchildren she had never seen... it touched my heart so much...

i have donated blood since i was 18...i give ever 63 days if i can... and everytime, i pray it helps someone.. gives strength to someone...

what you give out, comes back 10 fold...i have found that to be true always... good or evil.

and i see daily, people who have recvd transplants, and see their families with them..and the joy of having their family members walking around sharing life with them again.... how can that not be a blessing...?

I believe I have organ donor listed on my license, as well, but as Swafla said, it's up to the next of kin. If I die now, I have a good feeling my mother would not donate my organs, even though I have told her I want them donated.

I believe in it, and was always a donor, until age 21, when I became a recipient of a transplanted heart. I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the kind generosity of a 28 year old woman, and her family.

This is a very important point. Make sure your family knows your wishes. And for anyone who is afraid that they might pronounce you dead, just to get your organs, that's completely ludicrous, and a heinous rumor that is spread around by opponents of organ donation. I've been in hospitals the better part of the last 10 years of my life. The people working in hospitals; doctors, nurses, caseworkers, janitors, are some of the most caring and compassionate people you'll find, who no doubt have the upmost respect for human life.

matt, i didnt know you were a heart transplant pt... great story...

and your right, i have worked in a hospital for almost 10 yrs..and most people are very caring and compassionate..... work in one long enough, and your on the recvg end of tragedy's first hand... family and friends, even strangers will touch your heart.

i am glad that 28 yrs old donated...and that you got it...look at how many people you can and have touched...!!

I would be a doner, and have signed my license. I wont be needing any organs if Im gone, so if I can provide life to somebody else, I would. One of my best friends has had a kidney transplant, and would not be here , if it were not for a transplant. I have informed anybody close to me of my wishes.

aprilraven said:
i have worked in a hospital for almost 10 yrs..

doesn't representing the dark side of life damper the patients hope for recovery :mrgreen:

as long as i cover the top of the name badge that says "mortuary" i am good...

cute jon mikal.. i know your concern for me is upmost ....
** how do you get a member of the mod squad in trouble???** grumble grumble..

to tell the truth, the only time the patients get nervous is when i enter surgery and pop on a glove....when death angel enters and puts on protective wear, you pretty much feel doomed.......

I'm not trying to say you are wrong or be offensive in anyway, so please dont' take it that way...but to those who are afraid to be organ donors...I really don't understand at all...can't even fathom what it is that would make you afraid to donate organs after you die. Can you tell me what it was that made you afraid to do so, or makes you nervous? Just really curious, that's all.

Most reactions

Back