Organ Donation

Hehe sure, ill do my best.

Theres two things...I guess...I dunno...I fear that ill exist after I die, in the same way I was killed, so id have no organs and all cut up? I know its obsurd.

I...just...fear being used as a piece of meat? theres NO sense to it...and if I could shake it I would...I still think ill tick that box, and just live with feeling uncomfortable...

I've signed up for organ donation and my family knows it also.

They also know I want to be cremated ( pretty much my whole family wants to be cremated after they die ).

Here's something I dont agree with, which was discussed at my b/f's birthday dinner last Sunday night ( of all places and times, I know lol ). Some questionable law was passed that basically means ALL Canadians ( or maybe just Ontarians ) will be organ donors after they die. If you DON'T want to be an organ donor you must go and sign forms etc, saying you want to opt out and be taken off the list.

Josh's brother's fiancee was ignorant to this little detail, she was rather surprised by this new law. So it probably goes without saying that a lot of Canadians are in the dark about this too ?

I could be wrong but this is what I've been told. It's a fairly recent law.

I am all for organ donation but I think each person should be the one to make this kind of decision. At the very least they should be informed of this new change.

core_17 said:
I'm not trying to say you are wrong or be offensive in anyway, so please dont' take it that way...but to those who are afraid to be organ donors...I really don't understand at all...can't even fathom what it is that would make you afraid to donate organs after you die. Can you tell me what it was that made you afraid to do so, or makes you nervous? Just really curious, that's all.

Actually, I'm not afraid of it in the least. I'm not comfortable with the entire idea of organ transplants. And yes, I know its saved a lot of lives but it doesn't change this feeling of "wrongness" I get whenever I think about it. I don't have any problem with anyone else doing it and if I wasn't anemic I'd give blood but I don't want other organs and I don't want blood transfers. The only one I've had it was after surgery and I was too doped up to tell the Doc to get out of the room and leave me alone. 2 pints wasn't a big deal. (please don't lecture me about that bit you med folks - I've had enough medical issues over the years I'm just really contrary that way) :mrgreen:

It's not religious doctrine or anything that creates my discomfort with it and its only partially a mistrust of screening methods. But I can't help but feel it just isn't right. Don't get me wrong - I am NOT telling anyone else not to do it but that's just how I feel.

I'm a donor. I figure - why not? I don't need them.

In Australia, you don't need to sign up if you have a drivers licence. You just tick the box on the form, and you're a donor. We also have a register incase you don't have a licence and wanna be a donor...

I am also planning on becoming a bone marrow donor, when I get around to it... I have heard it is an extremely painful process... But how rewarding to know you might save someone's life? (and apparently, they can get some of your characteristics from it, like their eye colour changes, hair colour, etc.)

One thing I don't like is them "growing" animals to be used solely for this purpose. that is evil. And I would refuse to let them give me an organ from an animal! I would rather die.

Thought I needed to add that :)

Artemis said:
Hehe sure, ill do my best.

Theres two things...I guess...I dunno...I fear that ill exist after I die, in the same way I was killed, so id have no organs and all cut up? I know its obsurd.

I...just...fear being used as a piece of meat? theres NO sense to it...and if I could shake it I would...I still think ill tick that box, and just live with feeling uncomfortable...

Hmm. But imagine, if there is an afterlife...

Think of all the new places you have to hold your beer! You can put it where your heart was... frees up your hands.

Sorry. I couldn't resist :)

fadingaway1986 said:
One thing I don't like is them "growing" animals to be used solely for this purpose. that is evil. And I would refuse to let them give me an organ from an animal! I would rather die.

Thought I needed to add that :)

Worse would be getting one from a cloned human!

-Are we both banned now?-:confused:

hobbes28 said:
Tread lightly please...

The fact I haven't blasted Artie with every word NOT in the dictionary proves I am trying to tread lightly. (Although I've chewed my hair something awful!):taped sh:

I'm trying to chalk it up to his age.

Artie - what you are talking about is basically the same line. Won't say anymore than to say that is my stance on it. Agree to disagree.:wink: If you want to talk about it we need to do so via private messages. Otherwise this entire board would either self distruct (because there are POWERFUL feelings on both sides) or we'd both really be banned.

Liz, you are my hero :hail: Thank you for respecting the forum guidelines and still leaving the door to discussion via PM :thumbsup:

Thread hijack (or as Monty Python would say - and now for something completely different)

"Makes donkeys look cooperative" Alison? That sounds like something somebody would say about me! Used to be it was said I had a stubborn streak deeper than the Marianas Trench.

LizM said:
The fact I haven't blasted Artie with every word NOT in the dictionary proves I am trying to tread lightly. (Although I've chewed my hair something awful!):taped sh:

I'm trying to chalk it up to his age.

Artie - what you are talking about is basically the same line. Won't say anymore than to say that is my stance on it. Agree to disagree.:wink: If you want to talk about it we need to do so via private messages. Otherwise this entire board would either self distruct (because there are POWERFUL feelings on both sides) or we'd both really be banned.

Im totally confused...have I offended you? If so I am soo sorry and please this wasnt my intention, ill pm to see if we can resolve this...but I really hope I havent upset you...

Reading my earlier post I didnt put it exactly right...Im not sure I totally understand Stem Cell research, and after asking my brother I can see what I said was pretty awefull...LizM I am so sorry, hehe you must think im a bit of a monster...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back