organisation and workflow...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by lkavaney, Jul 16, 2007.

1. lkavaney

lkavaney TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    how do you organise your photographs? how do you organise your work flow? do you sit down and work through all images from that day etc? what is your strategy? I'm really struggling with organisation at the moment so any help is greatfully received!! thanks so much!! :hugs:

2. photoman720

photoman720 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Adobe lightroom works great for me.

3. lkavaney

lkavaney TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks! what does lightroom allow you to do? Ive not looked into that programme before.

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I use iPhoto for my image organization, although I have lightroom and aperture as well. Please keep in mind I do critter photos, and my workflow would make absolutely no sense to somebody shooting portraits or landscapes.

I have a LOT of pictures to process though.

My workflow is this. On the way home from our shooting, my wife goes through each camera and deletes the obviously bad shots (out of focus, critter turned around, etc.)... when shooting a lot of continuous frames of animals, there is a TON of waste. If in doubt, she leaves it.

I go into the computer and import the files into iPhoto (you could just as easily use Lightroom for this, I just am used to iPhoto) and scroll through the images, nuking most of the rest of them, saving only the best light, best composed and clearest images.

The few that are left are then put into a folder to be organized, cropped (you have to shoot a bit wide on animals, since they tend to move quickly and without any warning as to which direction they are going) and any post processing done.

Then I empty the trash.

I end up using about one in every 100 taken, although I have a lot more usable images than that.

5. Newfive

Newfive TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I put my in files accourding to day/month/year, and then back them up on CD/DVD.

Every day I shoot I then download to laptop and place in new folder. If I change, clean, cropped or watermarked then I make a new sub-folder in that file to hold them, so no orginal photo folder is touched.

Hope that helps.

6. theusher

theusher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Having used Light Room, Aperture, iPhoto, manually making folders...I find that Aperture is the best for raw organization. Light Room is very close to being integrated into photoshop, and it's pretty nice too. iPhoto is good if you are more of a recreational photographer, plus it's free with Macs.

Google also has Picassa which a few friends of mine love.

7. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot for money. We shoot 2 day horse events. There is a fairly large volume of shots as my wife and I cover different angles and subjects.

I download lets say, a 2Gb card to ACDSee (ver.7).
    After culling through and deleting unwanted files, I batch rename based on date. so instead of the useless name of IMG_xxxx which tells you nothing, I end up with 'Jul 16-0001' they are numbered sequentially by the software in a matter of a few minutes (I love to watch computers work).
    This way no matter how many photos we have (generally several hundred) there is only one with any given date and number. A year from now, I can call it up and sell reprints knowing it is the correct photo for the customer.
    I put all the files from a given date inside a folder labeled "July 16". That folder goes into a folder labeled "2007 Horse shows".

Once this is done, I backup to an external hard drive. Periodically I burn a DVD for archiving.

8. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't delete anything, becuase if say, I want to go back and see what I did, I might change my mind on something. I used to delete my files and only save the better ones, but when I looked back at them, wish I hadn't.

I manually make all my folders based on location. All the other info like date, time, whatever, is in the exif data. I than import into lightroom, do my batch processing, and if need be, export the good ones into CS2 for the more complicated processing and do each one at a time.

When i'm done, I save the working file with all layers, and save another one resized, watermarked, and bordered for web use in another sub-folder in case I want it for web use now, or in the future.

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you just need the organisation part of things Lightroom is overkill. Although it is a brilliant application designed to handle everything from taking photos off your camera, processing, organising, and publishing.

A free alternative for organising and publishing images is Google's Picasa.

10. Newfive

Newfive TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    FYI read fine print of usage of Google's Picasa, you post a picture you give up all rights to that photo.

11. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Exactly what I do. I use the Lightroom "Put in Subfolder" function and use the subject/location/date to title the folder.