Organization advice

morydd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.morydd.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting for my own enjoyment for about 15 years now, and have prints and negatives in various boxes, binders and such all over my apartment. I'm starting to transition to digital (right now getting a CD with my prints) and hoping to buy a digital body soon. The question is, what should I do with my old prints and negs.

I tend to be a pack-rat, so I've keep prints I'll probably never look at again, let alone do anything with, same with negatives, but at the same time, I've got prints I like a lot, and some (very few) that I think might have some income generating potential if I ever decide to pursue that.

What's a good way to store this stuff? (Not so much what products to use, I'm familiar with archival and acid-free concepts, as what sort of systems)Binders and sleeves? Keep negatives with prints, keep them seperate. Toss bad prints, but keep all negatives? toss bad negatives? Scan negatives then toss? Scan and store?

And for stuff that's not photo-album, keep-on-the-living-room-shelves-to-annoy-guests-with, but is good enough I want to keep, should I try to organize it thematically, chronologicly...?

Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated, both with an eye to being relatively easy to implement and maintain, and with an eye towards integrating with more digital stuff as I go. Thanks.

(If there's a better forum for this, please let me know.)

Most reactions

Back