Original Or Edited Photo?

lets see some of your images that need no editing. i mean wht would you do if you shot a photo with contrast of lights and darks and you wanted to adjust just one element. no matter what 'settings' ur camera is at it cant expose everything correctly

I think the key here is the need of more of an understanding of the benefits of having a DSLR. It appears to me that the OP is (or was) under the impression that because he now has a nice camera that it should take pictures that are great SOOC and he should not have to worry about Post Processing. If he still has to edit them, then is his camera still worth the great expense he (or somebody) paid for it.

Like the above poster mentioned one advantage of a DSLR is the ability to change lenses. Here are some other advantages to a DSLR
1. Using high quality fast lenses - increases IQ (image quality), and allows you to shoot in darker settings while still maintaining proper exposure at a given ISO
2. Better use of higher ISO - DSLR's are always better than P&S at higher ISO's
3. Larger sensor size - higher IQ, reduces DOF for portraits etc. also typically helps with higher ISO.
4. easily manually adjustable (changing and controlling how the image is taken is much easier to do through a DSLR)
5. WYSIWYG - Theoretically what you see is what you get. an SLR viewfinder is typically more accurate than a P&S as you are actually looking through the lens at the object.
6. Faster - almost no shutter lag between clicking the shutter and the image being taken. on a P&S this causes a number of lost moments.
7. Camera turns on faster - it's pretty much, pick up and shoot, rather than pick up, turn on, wait a few seconds and shoot.

and there are probably others.

These are the main reasons I can see using a DSLR. The thing is though that as others have said no matter what kind of camera you use there will always be some PP work done. The only question is whether you want to do that yourself, or whether you want your camera to do that.

Didnt read through the other responses, so I am unsure if this was mentionned or not.

When you shoot in JPG, your camera applies some basic processing on your image directly in the camera. Things like sharpness and saturation.

If you shoot in RAW, then you are getting the raw data of the image as the camera sees it, so you have full control over how to adjust the image and not let the camera do its basic adjustements.

I totally agree with getting the shot right in camera is really important, and it will limit the amount of post processing you have to do. But shooting in RAW, I usually do less than 30 secs of processing on most of my images.

Sure, if you edit it like a pre-pubescent 13 year old girl who just signed up for myspace and got a new copy of photoshop elements.

Oh, wow! This just made my day. Thank you!

Photoshop IS hardwork.
People get paid thousands and thousands of dollars to do work in photoshop.

:thumbup:
photoshop is EASILY 60% of my full time job.

tommy, it's still ART. heavy processing is something i enjoy a ton, and it's the way for me to get the end result i want.
"editing the crap out of something" may enhance it, not ruin it. it;s all part of the process to the end result.

(i hate grammar and spelling cops as much as the next person, but please heed others advice and at least spell words out.)

Would you believe that I had a student who turned in a paper that was ENTIRELY written in texting shorthand? Ridiculous! :lol:

Please tell me they got an F...or at least a note saying it needed to be re-written for credit...

Would you believe that I had a student who turned in a paper that was ENTIRELY written in texting shorthand? Ridiculous! :lol:

Please tell me they got an F...or at least a note saying it needed to be re-written for credit...
The class was "Strategies for the IT Professional". And, yes, the student got an instant F with a chance to re-write it with a full letter grade knocked off for each day it was late. The student didn't get it in soon enough and ended up with an F as the final grade on that paper.

sorry for the text language .. and thnx tommy that u see what im trying to point out .. also mike thnx .. btw even if i take a photo and its not on raw instead of jpeg .. doesnt mean that it chooses the settings for me i am able to do that not the camera

I'm having trouble comprehending what the original poster is typing, but the general gist seems to be the misconception that post processing is unnecessary if you get all your settings right.

Wrong.

I'll expand on what Pugs said by adding that when you shoot in RAW (You ARE using a D40, right? Why aren't you shooting in RAW?), NO sharpening or white balance adjustments, etc are done in camera. They REQUIRE post processing. RAW is not even a picture file. It's just all the information required to make a picture. If you're shooting jpg, your camera is doing processing. And the same shot with the same settings on 2 different cameras with 2 different processors will look completely different.

p.s. u shud lrn2spellcheck

. btw even if i take a photo and its not on raw instead of jpeg .. doesnt mean that it chooses the settings for me i am able to do that not the camera

noh u r rong. the settings your is chosing r the basc expose setitngs. The camera still will be dosing some pre-determined procesisng even if its not on raw.

yur camra is acting like bascic phtoshop.

If your pictures are perfect then don't edit. Who gives 2 Sh*ts if someone else does. Unless you are shooting in Raw ( which I seriously doubt if you never have to edit ) as others have said, your camera is processing the picture. Its basically acting as a really weak version of photoshop ( or any other graphics software. )

I would LOVE to see some of these immaculate photos that you keep speaking of.

BTW ( Hey, look I can do text type too ) the lakers suck. :)

Dnt mean 2 hyjck ur post but GO CELTS!
sry but i jus h8 tha lakers wit a pashun,

hey big twinky liked wat u said .. really appreciate it thnx .. at least somebody understand what im talking about or what point im trying to make out of it ..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back