Osprey and an Eagle

richnmib

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first attempts at birds in flight...

OK I found your exif info. Something seems off. Which 70-300 are you shooting? (G, ED or VR?) You shouldn't have to stop down that far to get sharp shots. I try to shoot my Ospreys at 1/1250th minimum. Are they all heavily cropped? I would try to keep the ISO at 400 or under and open the lens up a bit. Are you shooting in AF-C? What focus mode?

OK I found your exif info. Something seems off. Which 70-300 are you shooting? (G, ED or VR?) You shouldn't have to stop down that far to get sharp shots. I try to shoot my Ospreys at 1/1250th minimum. Are they all heavily cropped? I would try to keep the ISO at 400 or under and open the lens up a bit. Are you shooting in AF-C? What focus mode?

The lens is a Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD. I don't remember what focus mode I was using. But I did crop them. The first Osprey shot was part of several I took of that Osprey diving. I was not prepared for that. The other ones I was also unprepared for. I will go and try again tomorrow and see what I can do. I have been looking at other peoples data to get some ideas.

Hmm, need to work on focus, aperture and shutter speed ... as Coastal mentioned.

You need to understand the "modes" on your camera and what they do.

If you do not think your AF is good enough, try manual focusing.

Ok, I had the Tamron 70-300 VC and you should be able to shoot it just about wide open. A few thoughts. Are you waiting a sec for the VC to engage? The last eagle shot has a strange look to it. Try this, in the AF menu A1, set AF-C to Focus Priority (you will get less shots but the camera won't fire until the subject is in focus). On menu B1 ISO Auto, Set minimum shutter to 1/1250th Max ISO to 400 and turn it on. (if your camera doesn't show anything higher than 1/250th you don't have the latest firmware update) Shoot in "A" mode and the camera will try to keep your shutter above 1/1250th. Try shooting in AF Dynamic (third group down on the rear selector) make sure menu item a3 is set to normal and a4 is set to center area. Another thing to try is using back-button focus (AF-ON) this allows you to control the AF system with your thumb and gives you more control.... Have fun

Ok, I had the Tamron 70-300 VC and you should be able to shoot it just about wide open. A few thoughts. Are you waiting a sec for the VC to engage? The last eagle shot has a strange look to it. Try this, in the AF menu A1, set AF-C to Focus Priority (you will get less shots but the camera won't fire until the subject is in focus). On menu B1 ISO Auto, Set minimum shutter to 1/1250th Max ISO to 400 and turn it on. (if your camera doesn't show anything higher than 1/250th you don't have the latest firmware update) Shoot in "A" mode and the camera will try to keep your shutter above 1/1250th. Try shooting in AF Dynamic (third group down on the rear selector) make sure menu item a3 is set to normal and a4 is set to center area. Another thing to try is using back-button focus (AF-ON) this allows you to control the AF system with your thumb and gives you more control.... Have fun

max ISO 400? what body is being used (I can't view EXIF on the computer I'm on tonight)? I set my max ISO to around 2200-2500+ or around there. personally I'd rather deal with a little noise and be able to keep the shutter speed nice and high. even an older body should be able to push 800 or maybe 1600 depending on the model without too much difficulty, that'd give you 1-2 more stops of headroom to play with.

I like shooting in M, setting my own shutter and aperture for the situation, and letting auto ISO handle any slight variations, most of the time the auto ISO will stay around 100-600 depending on the location, but the added auto ISO just gives some extra breathing room (and my bodies are able to handle ISO that high without a problem, back when I used a D90, I probably wouldn't have pushed it too much higher than 800, MAYBE 1600 but I'd probably try not to go that high)...at least thats my method, there are many different ways to do it, its just kindof personal preference.

max ISO 400? what body is being used
He's shooting a D200. I shoot in manual also, but it is too much for someone that is new to photography, IMHO...

ah, yeah the d200 might be a bit more limited, I was thinking he was using something around the D90/D300 era of bodies, I don't have experience with the D200 specifically....

OP - A mode is good for learning, like CC mentioned, if you're watching what shutter speeds/ISO the body is choosing compared to the aperture you're setting, you can see how the different aspects of the exposure triangle fit together....you can also switch it up and go into S mode, and set your shutter speed, and watch the aperture and ISO being auto-set....it really just takes practice.

Thank you for all your input. I actually have a D5100 and the D200. I bought the D200 used and like a dummy I didn't download the manual and read it. Thank you again for all of your help. I will try everything you all have posted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back