Other forums.

i went to Photography Corner for a little bit when i couldn't get any comments on my pics here. but i just don't like it there...

slickhare said:
i went to Photography Corner for a little bit when i couldn't get any comments on my pics here. but i just don't like it there...

You were incredibly smart to come back! :) :mrgreen:

I don't think it's helpful for anyone to comment "this sucks...bad"

If you want honest and detailed critique go to the critique section. On the few pictures I have posted in their I get honest replies, and also suggestions regarding how to fix problems. If you're looking for someone to call you a horrible photographer on here, it's not going to happen. How does that help anyone anyway?

slickhare said:

i've been a member of the corner for quite sometime and it's not a bad site at all. there are many categories to choose from and the site admin & mods are all a friendly bunch. one of our members is a mod there.

another good site that i enjoy is: http://www.bwphotographyforum.com/
it's all about b&w photography...excellent work to be found! you will get a lot of "nude" stuff, but it's done in a tasteful manner.

another good site for critique is: http://dpnow.com/ i think it's based in the UK, but has members from all over the world...mostly pros. where other forums may praise your work, these guys get down with why it sucks :lmao: but in a tasteful manner and when they feel like it.

IMO what makes TPF unique is it's sense of community...and that's probably due to the OT area. because of OT, people have a chance to communicate more than their photographic work...users become people. people like people and meet-ups form. from meet-ups you establish friendships/relationships. show me another forum that can do all this.

now don't get me wrong, OT can sometimes be quite the pain in the a_s_s. :mrgreen:

andreag5 said:
I don't think it's helpful for anyone to comment "this sucks...bad"

If you want honest and detailed critique go to the critique section. On the few pictures I have posted in their I get honest replies, and also suggestions regarding how to fix problems. If you're looking for someone to call you a horrible photographer on here, it's not going to happen. How does that help anyone anyway?

Thanks to the people that posted up links and info!

I don't want someone to tell me I'm a horrible photgrapher, but I want someone to tell me if I have taken a horrible picture. I just want some, non-beat-around-the-bush, truth. I just respond well to cut-to-the-chase criticism. I would actually be okay if someone in a crit forum said, "that looks horrible, and this is why." If they tell you, "well, I think you could improve here, but you may be onto something" when it looks horrible, to me that's less helpful. Just my .02 cents.

Thanks again.

Have you tried using the critique forum yet? With the right post containing the relevant information you will get some honest replies.

BTW a photo can look terrible simply because of 1 factor like exposure or composition so somebody else might see the potential you don't. Reading the replies and taking it all in might result in a re-shoot and the photograph you hoped you were getting the first time and one you may really like.

I know this from first hand experience where a re-shoot following tips from critique has produced the shot I had in my head but couldn't capture the first time round.

I find myself afraid to give an honest opinion about the photography here. As there is such a sense of loyalty to those people who have created relationships.

I often find that the people here will compliment anything a person does, because they just want to encourage them. After seeing some of these links I may actually sign up for a few other forums to get some honest opinions.

I try not to comment around here unless I REALLY think a picture is good. That way, i'm not saying anything bad, but not encouraging bad photography either.

imo... friendship means loyalty...

i just have noticed that some people think art is a technical thing, and something that follows rules.... art is very eclectic....and very much a personal and opinionated form of self expression....

so yes, anytime you critique it, even if you have a phd and funny letters after your name, if its someone elses work, unless you were in their mind, you dont know what they were going for...you may not see the beauty, or it just may not be your cup of tea, so its not under your expertise.

piccaso was out there, and he is not my type of artist, but he is considered a master.... i may not care for the look, but that does not make him wrong and me right...

if you dont like someones pic, fine, but going on someones thread and critiquing it in anyway, to me its none ya...none ya business...if its in critique section , rock on....but if its on landscape and nature, or general, or where ever.... if you cant say anything nice, dont...

i mistakenly thought that everyone was raised to be polite, and i realize now i was wrong...

but humans in general are basically good people... we approach things differently, but still...even if your my best friend, or a newbie, i can not tolerate rudeness...if you want critique...we have a critique section.. utilize it... me personally.. i will never put anything over there...

cause my stuff is too weird for norm...and if i know that already, then i know there are a bunch of people who's not gonna get it....

and the ones who wants to tell me what is wrong with a pic, is not the people i want to learn from... the ones to learn from, are the ones who will take time out to answer you when you write them.... i say, do it privately..pm them if you wanna know what someone thinks...

there are too many people in the world who think their opinion matters more than others...and that what they say means more... without explaination ..... that thier way to shoot is the correct way....

whatever... we are all different and should be all accepting of any differences and faults.... shame that we fall short so many times....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back