Other lenses with image/optical stabilization?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm on a hunt for a 'walkaround' lens. I am pretty set on the Canon 28-135 with IS. That's the general range I want. I noticed that Sigma has some lenses with Optical Stabilization.

What are other options for lenses with Image Stabilization/Optical Stabilization for different brands and such in that range? Has anybody had experience with any others?

Canon Digital Rebel XT
Canon 18-55
Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 (want to replace this with the IS one)
Canon 50mm 1.8
Sigma 70-200 2.8 DG EX HSM Macro
Canon 430EX

I don't think you'll find anything from other brands - not in the range you're looking for. As of their last catalogue, Sigma only made one lens with OS (their version of in-lens stabilisation) and that's an 80-400mm. To the best of my knowledge, Tamron and Tokina have no equivalent system yet. So effectively you're only looking at the Canon range for in-lens stabilisation - which isn't really a problem if you're already set on that 28-135.

Yeah that's probably the one I'll go with. There is now a Sigma 18-200 with OS. But, I don't think the reviews are good for the non os one.

For what it's worth, I have the 28*135mm Canon and like it, especially for general use. I really like the IS. I am convinced it has save a shot or two for me.

I think you should be pleased with it.

GREAT. Thanks

To be honest I would really avoid that Sigma or any other 18-200mm. I'm not saying that all superzooms are terrible because I know some people are happy with them, but based on the lenses you already have (including a good prime and fast zoom) I think you would be very disappointed with the results from an 11x zoom lens - the 5x 28-135mm is likely to be much more acceptable (although personally I would consider having two walk-around lenses since 28mm is not all that wide on a digital Rebel).

I have a Canon Speedlite 430EX, I have already had to sent it to the repair depot, and it constantly doesn't sync properly with my camera :| My kit also has an EF 28-135MM IS (Love it!), 17-85mm IS (Descent), 50mm 1.8 (Specific Uses but works exceptionally), and a 75-300mm non IS (Ugh!).

I have a Canon Speedlite 430EX, I have already had to sent it to the repair depot, and it constantly doesn't sync properly with my camera :| My kit also has an EF 28-135MM IS (Love it!), 17-85mm IS (Descent), 50mm 1.8 (Specific Uses but works exceptionally), and a 75-300mm non IS (Ugh!).
How (somewhat detailed) does the 28-135 IS compare to your 17-85 IS? My brother in law shoots weddings with his 17-85 and loves it. If you're saying that the 28-135 is better... or even compares, then wow!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back