Our Dependence On Electricity

I was going to answer earlier, but the power went off (really, right after reading this the power went off). Anyway, I have been to a lot of villages were there is still no electricity and in general the people go to sleep when the sun goes down and then they are up early and out in the field. I prefer having electricity.

Loosing the mains grid electricity is a pain but backups are already in place for vital equipment - we even have automatic standby generators at work & UPS systems to maintain power to computers/phones etc even if the generators don't run. In third world places there often isn't mains power at all & local generation is the norm.

Doing without electricity in total is much more significant. That would leave us with no electronics, no petrol engines (spark ignition) and even stop our nerves working. Yes Gary is 100% correct he couldn't live without electricity!

It's like saying our dependence on water is risky and that we should have something else that isn't water or a water based compound.
While I understand the comparison, I don’t think it’s accurate. What about: our dependence on cars?

We can live without electricity, despite the fact that we’d be limited as a society. We can live without cars, despite the fact that we’d be limited as a society.

We can’t live without water.

The thing is there isn't an alternative that's practical to run alongside electricity.
*That we currently know of...
I can't live without electricity.
Come now, neither grilling nor drinking wine requires electricity. :D
his wine and steak cooler does ....
he'd have to drink and eat it all fairly quickly.
I would have to dig a cave for the wine ... or drink and eat everything at once. ... mmmhhh ,,,, not a bad idea.

following the philosophy of the current administration, it won't be long before we can run the US of A using Thoughts and Prayers.

Down with Electricity...and BIG Electric.

Hey! This is my spot. Those poor people in the airport. Heck, I had to live through Snowmageddon 4, 5, or 6 this year. We lost power for 2 hours, and I didn't do anything but stay stuck on my phone wondering why I couldn't report the outage to my power company. My many attempts kept killing my phones. Luckily, I had 6 phones available. The irony was that I have a very large solar system that I failed to setup because lazy. I think I just revealed my shortcomings to everyone.

Most reactions

Back