Out and about again (not dial-up friendly.....again)

malachite

Heavily Medicated For Your Protection
Reaction score
Exploits from last weekend's photo jaunts: First stop, Humbolt Mountain. Actually I'm on top of it and in front of you, looking north is the Mazatal Moutain range. Nothing spectacular except the 40mph winds and the fact that I got one picture between gusts that didn't get ahold of the telephoto and blur things up.

Humbolt082104-18.jpg

I did have some company while waiting for the light to get better and the wind to die down. The first time I caught a glimpse of the little bugger, it was on top of my backpack already. When I was done screaming like a 4 year old just spanked at Kmart, we hung out for awhile. After all those Discovery and Animal Planet shows I've watched, you can't help but admire everything you find if you've seen their episode. This was only the first of 5 I ran into that evening once I headed home.

Humbolt-tarantula-082104-12.jpg

Sunday I found myself on a dirt road called Ranch Rd that lead to Ranch Mountain, which in turn led to The Ranch atop said mountain. Simple enough I guess :) Tried out some Ektachrome 100VS for the first time as my now discontinued 100SW supply has run out. With a polarizer this stuff is actually too saturated and my skies and clouds looked like a cartoon. I had to desaturate the next images to make them look real. Anyway, The Ranch, or what's left of it.................

Ranch-082204-07.jpg

Ranch-082204-15.jpg

As the ranch falls into shadow before the sun actually sets, I got to chase the sun down the mountain.

Ranch-082204-31.jpg

And then the grand finale when everything turns orange, red, gold, and everything in between for less than a minute.

GrandFinale-082204-37.jpg

till next week...............................

I love this series..... I'm waiting for more

Holey heck! Fantastic shots. Really quite inspiring to be honest.

*goes to grab camera and run off to take some photos.

edit: I have to ask - did you brighten the colours in photoshop or summat. They are amazingly vivid.

I absolutely love them all, but would like the spider pic a bit more if there were a little more contrast maybe...so you could see the details.

Nice shots. The first 4 especially!

mentos_007 said:
I love this series..... I'm waiting for more
Thanks, more ranch pics will be had next weekend, with a twist........

2Stupid2Duck said:
edit: I have to ask - did you brighten the colours in photoshop or summat. They are amazingly vivid.
I actually desaturated them and lost some color to get them that way. This was my first roll (last 4 shots posted) of Ektachrome 100VS. It got crazy saturation and color with the polarizer. I've got another roll I'll be trying without the polarizer and we'll see what happens.

core_17 said:
but would like the spider pic a bit more if there were a little more contrast maybe
It was just a quicky with the digi P&S, taken at arms length as I was not about to get my face that close. He crawled into a crack in the rock and disappeared before I thought to use the flash.

when i saw the first one i just said "woaaahhh!" that shot is just great!!!

#4 is really good too! did you use a wide angle lens for this shot? :scratch:

Nytmair said:
#4 is really good too! did you use a wide angle lens for this shot? :scratch:
18mm (35mm format)

You guys don't mind the narrations that I put with these do you? I got a PM the other day, just someone saying they liked my stuff, but they like the story lines I put with them. Makes the "pictures more personal to the viewer" they said. So now I'm thinking "write a little more next time" or just "get to the damn pics already! ".........??????

Dunno, maybe I'll try it out with the next roadtrip set :scratch:

I love the first picture. So simple, yet gorgeous. Wish there were areas like that around me to shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back