out-dated film

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Who knows a good source for out-dated film? B & H and Freestyle only carry a small amount of it.

Ebay...

and your local camera store.... Eckards drugstore had a ton of it not long ago. I suppose all their film stock was coming on expiration so they put it on sale. Some sold for less than a dollar a roll. since I scan it mayself or have them scan it, I didn't care that it was house brand.

The switch to digital was so rapid lots of people have out dated and almost expired film laying around. Some of them I'm told didn't adjust their buying practices in time.

Mysteryscribe, I've missed you. Glad to see you back participating again.

My local Fred Meyer had DOZENS of rolls of Fuji slide film: Provia, Sensia, Velvia and some TMax 100 & 400 that was out of date. I tried to get them to mark it down from the $11 a roll that they had on it. They told me that they don't mark it down if it expires--they just toss it. I tried to get them to give it to me instead...no dice. What a waste!:thumbdown:

It's a general industry rule that expired film is 50% off, and that people who try to sell expired film at full price are ***holes.

A lot of places will do even better than 50%. I bought a half dozen propacks of expired Portra 160 that came out to 50 cents a roll, from a Motophoto that was moving its location and they wanted to clear out everything they could. It had been just sitting in a cabinet, unrefrigerated. When I got it home, I popped it in the freezer. The colors didn't degrade terribly much at all, except to take on a hint of a 1940s Kodachrome look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7491820@N07/433994509/in/set-72157600027186802/

My local Fred Meyer had DOZENS of rolls of Fuji slide film: Provia, Sensia, Velvia and some TMax 100 & 400 that was out of date. I tried to get them to mark it down from the $11 a roll that they had on it. They told me that they don't mark it down if it expires--they just toss it. I tried to get them to give it to me instead...no dice. What a waste!:thumbdown:

If they toss it out, may I suggest some rubber gloves and a friend to keep watch for the police? :lol:

A lot of places will do even better than 50%. I bought a half dozen propacks of expired Portra 160 that came out to 50 cents a roll, from a Motophoto that was moving its location and they wanted to clear out everything they could. It had been just sitting in a cabinet, unrefrigerated. When I got it home, I popped it in the freezer. The colors didn't degrade terribly much at all, except to take on a hint of a 1940s Kodachrome look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7491820@N07/433994509/in/set-72157600027186802/

Not bad at all! I love the feel of that photo! I should look for some expired film!

If they toss it out, may I suggest some rubber gloves and a friend to keep watch for the police? :lol:

I thought of that, too. :wink: But most of those big department stores use a trash compactor and this store is no exception. Charlie, next time I'll try the bribe. It's certainly with a try! :mrgreen:

This is from a roll of Portra 160 that was in the Bessamatic for several (?) years while I neglected that camera. The shots that had been exposed when the film was fresh were pretty much okay, but the newly shot ones all had the reddish cast around the edges. I converted some to sepia, and rather like the look that I got.

DraytonHall4.jpg

DraytonHall40001.jpg

DraytonHall30001.jpg

Most reactions

Back