out-of-dated film

wil_80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the middle of a film that I suppose to be out-of-date. The last time I shot was more than one year ago. As a newbie, I don't know what effect it could have on the remaining part of the film. So, could you tell me if I have to rush to the photo lab or something?
Moreover, I have another question. If I found an old film, let's say 3 or 4 years old, and I made it developped, what would be the result?

Thank you for your help.
Wil

--
PS: English is not my first language, sorry for the mistakes.

There probably wouldn't be much difference at all. It depends how the film has been stored. If it's been in a cool dry place it shouldn't show any signs of change. You will almost certainly get decent results, just not quite the quality you'd expect from brand new stuff, but if you aren't blowing the pictures up really large I don't think you will tell at all.

the only real way to know is to develop it.

That said, I have had customers process films up to SIXTEEN years old! They came out quite purple, but still recognizable images. I have also seen 5 year old films come up looking almost like new.

There was a thread on this a while back, but frozen film will last for a LONG time. I have been shooting almost exclusively for the last 6 months with film that is on average 13 years out of date (early 90's). It has been frozen since new, and every roll has come out perfectly. These are colour slides and black and white.

Dave

My dad has a roll of Kodoak Color film that I am guessing is probably way friggin' old. Can anyone even tell me when they started selling color 35 mm film? It's in a tin can that is yellow with a red screw on cap. The film itself is yellow, and the piece that sticks out at the top (that hooks into the thing that advances it--like those technical terms? ;) ) is green.

I keep telling him that he should contact Kodak and ask them to develop it...if that roll turns out great, can you imagine the advertising potential??

He hasn't done it.

Kodak replaced screw-on lids in the late 60's - early 70's I think.
The piece that sticks out of the can - the leader - would be green for a colour film.
Black & white is grey(ish).
If you are going to get it processed then first of all - is it neg or tranny?
If it's tranny then if the film is from before circa 1978, it will be E-4 process. I'm pretty certain E-6 isn't compatible.
For neg I can't remember when the C41 process came out. You'd need to check.
How the film has been stored will affect the quality and the colours.
The very first thing to establish, though, is has it been exposed?

Hertz,

I didn't actually mean the film sticking out...there is none, which I assume means that it is a used roll. The part that sticks out is the spool that fits into the camera for the winding part (does that make sense?).

Anyway, when I go home next weekend, I'll check for sure, but if he shot it while he was stationed in Japan (in the late 50s), it would most likely be slides. If it's any newer (which it surely would be if it isn't from Japan), then it's likely to be prints.

Are there places that still develop the older stuff?

selmerdave said:
There was a thread on this a while back, but frozen film will last for a LONG time. I have been shooting almost exclusively for the last 6 months with film that is on average 13 years out of date (early 90's). It has been frozen since new, and every roll has come out perfectly. These are colour slides and black and white.

Dave

do you ever have a problem with condensation?

jocose said:
Are there places that still develop the older stuff?
If there is no leader then it probably is exposed.
The core that the film is wrapped around is indeed the spool. Don't ever remember seeing green ones but that means nothing.
As for processing - you could try checking with these guys
http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/e4.htm

They seem to do lots of old film processes. Looks good - not cheap, but that is to be expected. And it can take up to 12 months. But if you've had the film sitting around for 30 or 40 years, what's another one.

Wow...I would LOVE to see what's on a 30 year old roll of film! It would be almost like bringing the past back to life...being the first to ever see the pictures...awesome!

ARHGHGGH! How creepy and weird is that... I didn't make that post above!!! It must be my sister using the computer at home and she accidentally forgot to log out of my account.

*yells at sister* KATHERINE, log out!!! Use your own account silly.

~~~~~~~~
Now back to your film, I agree, it would be absolutely amazing to see the end result with film that old. Even if the quality of the pictures isn't perfect - which it probably won't be - you'll have all these amazing memories.

I've just done the same recently. I found an old roll of my dad's Kodachrome so I sent it off to be developed a good few weeks ago now and I got a notice from the post office today so I think it's the roll of film come back! Yay! I can't wait to see what was on there.
I'll let you know how the photos turn out. The film must have been about 10 years old... but I'll figure it out better once I see them.

*yells back at sister* VICTORIA, sign out!!! or better yet, use your own computer

Hertz van Rental said:
But if you've had the film sitting around for 30 or 40 years, what's another one.

That film is way older than me :)

But you are absolutely right, what's the big deal to wait one more !!

Meysha said:
Now back to your film, I agree, it would be absolutely amazing to see the end result with film that old.

Good point, it would be fascinating to peak into my dad's life. The only problem is that if they are indeed from when he was in Japan, he was 19--there might be things in there that I just DON'T WANT TO KNOW!! :)

But he's an awesome dad, and I know almost all of his stories anyway (as he's gotten older--or as I've gotten older, I'm not sure--he's told more and more off-color stories).

I'll keep you posted (and perhaps post) if we ever develop it, and if anything turns out good.

Most reactions

Back