out of studio portraits (*total 240k*)

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
had an assigment yesterday, he found our website on google, thanks to the hubby's web optimization :D .. how cool is that 8)

anywho, he's a self-proclaimed computer "geek" and wanted some portraits to have of himself and for an online dating service... i talked him out of the studio and wanted to go for something more "natural" ... we used all natural lighting (at 12pm noon) ... i brought a reflector just in case but didnt use it

i shot these all in RAW mode/format, their a little more "rustic" looking than my normal stuff :oops: ... he kept talking a lot during the shoot so i had to wait or catch him with his mouth open. i used a tripod for some, but not always (i find tripods too restricting) you know the drill, comments, critiques welcome

bradley.jpg

bradley2.jpg

bradley3.jpg

bradley4.jpg

I like numbers 1 & 3 the most. #2 does not look natural and his posture is bugging me for some reason

I'm the same.

#1 and #3: awesome! Very flattering to the subject. Dramatic lighting, but not over the top. These are pro portraits.

#2 and #4: besides that he's being weird in #4 the backgrounds seem cluttered. In #2 the lighting is very sudued. In #4 it's harsh in the highlight.

#1 great shot. But since its a portrait for a customer, I'd say a small fill light on the right side may have been helpful to get that side of his face out of complete shadow. Otherwise great shot

#2 The problem I have w/ this one is that it seems like the focus is on his shirt instead of his face. Also the DOF is a little too large, but that would have been hard to change w/ everything being so close together

#3 Another good flattering shot, but the my eye is drawn to the painting in the background, its a little distracting considering that this is a portrait.

#4 This one is also a little blurry (might be this monitor). Also his handss don't look proportional to his head. I have a feeling this has somethign to do w/ them being closer to the lens, but i'll ler people who knwo what they're talking about try to explain that one to you.

On the whole I think you did a great job, and I'm sure he'll be pleased. Just noticed a few small things that could help a little bit.

thanks for all your comments ... i wanted to give it a sense of "home" .. i left all objects where they were originally ... the backgrounds were also left there to add what i call a "wild card" ... something else to look at than him :lol:

the last one was shot with a wide angle lens up close to give it a sense of "weirdness" (twistedlense is our motto :D) ... he wanted some "basic" stuff but elements of "out of placement"

well as long as its intentional and you achieved what you wanted, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks

You never cease to amaze me. Was the monocromatic theme in 2 on purpose? If so, it's brilliant. I'm going to be royally pissed if you call yourself an amatuer again. You've achieved a level of your craft that you deserve to be compensated appropriately. In fact, when you don't charge, it gives off an impression that your aren't positive what you are doing or you don't have confidence.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back