Out practicing with the 18-105 kit lens

sleist

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been ignoring this lens lately. Nice light yesterday so I stopped on the way home from work to shoot at one of my favorite practice spots. 80 shots and most are crap - oh well. Liked these 2 most of the bunch.

1. Very close crop of peony. I like this best.

881296231_SBdk5-XL.jpg

2. On the fence about this one. I think it may be a bit boring:

881326493_tV8GH-XL.jpg

#1. I really like the top half of the frame in that the light passes through the petal and gives a delicate feel to the image. I also like the subtle tonality in the color variation because of the light. I do not like the grainy quality of the lower half of the frame. I'm not sure how I feel about the crop.

#2. I often try to take this kind of shot, and I always find it a bit disappointing. Perhaps yours would work better with a wider aperture, so the rocks are all in focus.

#1: Great Shot all around. It's almost abstract...like it a lot.

#2: The Picture might be more interesting if you flipped it vertically...that is the trees in the reflection would be facing up, and the grass at the top would look like grass on the ground...just an idea.

Thanks for the comments!

@ TiCoyote - I agree with your comments on 1. I did not see the noise on my monitor at home, but I see it now on this monitor. I'll have to try again paying more attention to that area of the frame.

@ TiCoyote & cfphoto regarding 2 - it's a tough space to work in and not too far above the top of the frame is some ugly woods and a road. I may post the original later and let some folks have at it to see what they come up with.

Exif reveals - 40mm, f/11, ISO 200, 1/20 sec (hand held)
I could have upped the ISO, but with this lens, I'm not sure I would have gained much in shutter speed - particularly if I shot higher than f/11.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back