Outdated E-6 Film

OldManJim

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ran across some Fuji Velia 50 from about 2004. it had been stored in a desk drawer in my basement for 13 years. It was protected from refrigeration and any effort to prevent it from degrading. I thought I'd shoot it to see how it performed. F5005.jpg

Looks like it has a red cast, cause I'm pretty sure the streets in my town aren't pink.

I think it's the film since I processed some fresh Velvia in the same tank with the same chemistry and it came out OK.

I've had some processed E6 film (Ektachrome mostly), which went slightly magenta after 25 years, or so, and it was stored cool, dark, dry, and in glass mounts. I ran it through Photoshop Elements, and it was easily corrected.

I'd say it was probably a feature of the film's structure. You can correct in your editor software, and see what it takes to bring it back to "neutral".

I'm sitting on a box of Fujichrome 4x5 (in my home freezer), which had been refrigerated since it went past fresh in late 2015 (discounted nicely by the photo shop). I'm getting ready to expose it, and see how it does.

I've had some processed E6 film (Ektachrome mostly), which went slightly magenta after 25 years, or so, and it was stored cool, dark, dry, and in glass mounts. I ran it through Photoshop Elements, and it was easily corrected.

I'd say it was probably a feature of the film's structure. You can correct in your editor software, and see what it takes to bring it back to "neutral".

I'm sitting on a box of Fujichrome 4x5 (in my home freezer), which had been refrigerated since it went past fresh in late 2015 (discounted nicely by the photo shop). I'm getting ready to expose it, and see how it does.

It will do fine. Most films do quite well for a couple of years after expiration. Refrigerated they can go much longer.

It could show worse.. As for me, well preserved

Attachments

• Ma.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 165
Not sure what math homework has to do with color transparencies, but OK... :lol:

I don't know much about shooting film that's out of date, but I do know about recovering faded images from old processed film! My dad shot almost exclusively Kodachrome, but there were a couple of rolls of Ektachrome in 1958, 1959, somewhere in there. The slides are almost entirely magenta-cast, but I was able to recover good color in most of them in Photoshop. Usually a combination of color balance sliders and curves adjustment layers.

Most reactions

Back