Outdoor Flash Battery

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by LarissaPhotography, Oct 30, 2009.

1. LarissaPhotography

LarissaPhotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love the full flash outdoor effect, and we're wanting to do some of this, but our little speedlite's aren't cutting it. We have the strobes that we use in the studio. Which batteries do you guys use for outdoor flash? We're looking for something that works without spending a fortune. Suggestions?

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The Innovatronix Explorer 1200 is the one I bought. It has two 115 volt AC outlets, and looks professional. It is a 100 percent pure sine wave inverter,and will easily power all of my Speedotron flash equipment.

I wrote a blog article on portable power options in the summer of 2008. You can read about the Innovatronix Explorer 1200 here Derrel's Photography Blog: Powering Studio Flash On Location:Tronix Explorer 1200 Ws and here is a listing of the company's products
    Innovatronix Incorporated | Products & Services

Innovatronix also builds portable DC systems for powering laptops and printers outdoors!

Paul C. Buff makes the Vagabond II portable pure sine wave inverter. It has only one AC outlet and is lower-powered than the better Innovatronix model, but it also costs less, although the weight is basically the same as the Innovtronix products at right around 18 pounds.
    AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment

3. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. LarissaPhotography

LarissaPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looking at the AlienBees setup, that may be what I end up going with. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is whether it will work with my existing softboxes.

5. catwalk.hudson

catwalk.hudson TPF Noob!

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't need to use Alien Bee (or White Lightning) lights, in order to use their Vagabond battery. It's just a power source, so you could plug in your existing studio lights (and thus your existing softboxes etc.)

I 'made' my own. It wasn't a whole lot cheaper than a Vagabond (mostly because I bought a $60 charger) but it weighs about half as much, which makes it easier to tote around during an outdoor shoot.
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ucts-news-reviews/177686-ghetto-vagabond.html