TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the following lenses,
50mm 1.8
18-55mm
75-300mm
I will be doing a photo shoot outdoors and I would like to know which lens would be better and the settings etc. I also have the 430EX flash. Will that be needed and what settings? Will I need my tripod/monopod? Anything else I may need to know. This shoot is in a few weeks so I have a little time to practice...lol Thanks for your help.

50mm 1.8
18-55mm
75-300mm
I will be doing a photo shoot outdoors and I would like to know which lens would be better and the settings etc. I also have the 430EX flash. Will that be needed and what settings? Will I need my tripod/monopod? Anything else I may need to know. This shoot is in a few weeks so I have a little time to practice...lol Thanks for your help.

What are you shooting outdoors? People? Objects? Landscapes?

p!nK

50mm 1.8
18-55mm
75-300mm

What are you shooting outdoors? People? Objects? Landscapes?

p!nK
Well you know, I guess that would be good to know huh...LOL People

People doing what? Playing soccer, portraits, or candids?

If you don't know, just bring them all. You won't need the flash. If you need flash at all, it will just be for filling in shadows a bit, and the built-in flash works fine for that.

For people pictures, definitely bring the 50mm. That wide aperture is really good to blur the background and bring focus to the people.

People doing what? Playing soccer, portraits, or candids?

If you don't know, just bring them all. You won't need the flash. If you need flash at all, it will just be for filling in shadows a bit, and the built-in flash works fine for that.

For people pictures, definitely bring the 50mm. That wide aperture is really good to blur the background and bring focus to the people.

Portraits. Which mode is best for these photos? Also do I need a monopod? Tripod? Both? Neither? ...lol

I wouldn't bother with a tripod or monopod personally.

I think it is a little hard to say what settings and bring which lens without knowing what type of end result you are looking for. On top of that, it vary with different situation.

Bright sunny day at noon is going to be different from at around 5 -6 pm. Under the shade is going to be different from no shade. Subject facing the sunlight is going to be different than away from it. Head shot is going to be different than full body type shot ......

In that case, bring all 3 lenses and the flash.

I agree with the 50mm, but take them all.

If the people do not mind... use them all and find out what they can do for you. As far as that goes, shoot in all the modes that you have to see what they do.

Try it all! Do it all!

Do you want use to come and shoot for you ? how do we know what the weather will be like sunny, overcast, raining. You will learn more by going there and deciding for yourself, post some after the shoot and we will tell you where you went wrong if you went wrong

50mm 1.8
18-55mm
75-300mm
Yes, there is tons more you need to know.

No one can tell you what setting to use because it depends:
  • on the time of day
  • the weather (clear, partly cloudy, cloudy, etc)
  • angle of the Sun relative to the subject
  • How much room you have to work in.
  • and several other things.
In general you don't want your subject in direct sunlight because you would then have very bright spots and hard shadows to deal with.

That means you need to put your subjects in even open shade, and that means using flash, preferably off camera flash, to separate the subject from the background. Avoid dappled light. You would need to learn to properly use the flash.

With only the one light you really should have at least 1 white reflector about 3 feet high and 2 feet wide. Foam board from a hobby supply or office supply will work. A second light would be better.

Visit Strobist: Lighting 101 to start learning about lighting.

Use the 50mm with the settings of f/5.6, shutter speed of 1/125 and an ISO setting of 100 and a -1EV. That should do it!

Or you could listen to KmH as his advice is pretty much spot on.

I think you need some time to study up.

By the way, you might want to bring some reflectors, and some diffusers to avoid the harsh sun (depending on time of day).

Most reactions

Back