Outdoor photos and lighting question?

GATORGIRL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new with photoraphy and have a canon 40D camera. I am trying to get more practice and learn more tips and tricks:) I have a question about outdoor photos, when shooting people outdoors I hear that right after sunrise or right before sunset is the best, do you all agree with that? I am going to try to shoot an outdoor set of a large family and it will be in front of the river and there are lots of big shade trees in some areas and none in others. Just wondering if anyone has advice on the time of day to shoot or any tips for this kind of setting. Thanks for any and all help:)

Welcome to the forum.

Early and late sunlight is good because it has nice warm tones and it's coming more from the side than from directly above. However, the it's not always the easiest to work with.

If you are shooting a large family, I'd suggest shooting during the daytime, when you have more light, but try to get them in the shade so the sunlight isn't hitting them directly.

I would agree with big mike. Sunrise/sunset provide the colors, but the easiest shooting light is the shade on a bright day, or just the diffuse light of a bright overcast day.

There was one time where I was waiting till a bit darker, so I could use flash and have the blackground a bit darker. Does that make sense?

Yeah that does make sense. But I have to say that the setting being on the water is soooo pretty I really want to make sure to capture that as well. But that is a good idea for other setting too!! Thanks:)

There was one time where I was waiting till a bit darker, so I could use flash and have the blackground a bit darker. Does that make sense?
If that's what you want to do, that's fine. Actually, you probably don't have to wait to do that. You could just adjust your exposure to underexpose the ambient light on the background and then still have your flash expose the subject....although, you may need a lot of flash power.

But I have to say that the setting being on the water is soooo pretty I really want to make sure to capture that as well.
If you can pull that off, then go for it. But I'd suggest that you make sure you already have your 'must have' shots before then...and when you do want to shoot a group with the setting sun, get them into position ahead of time.

It's happened way too many times...you notice how great the setting sun looks, or what great light it's giving you, but by the time you get your subjects ready and into position, the light is already gone and it's getting darker and darker. Start early and then when the light is perfect, you will already be shooting and have your subjects warmed up/relaxed.

Thanks Mike, That is a very good point! I think I will try this starting earlier and see how that works. It makes sense to me:)

Most reactions

Back