Outdoor Senior Girl Portrait II

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Tally Ho, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Tally Ho

Tally Ho TPF Noob!

Natalie again, and again I used the natural things that I find in the woods and incorporate them into the pose. In this case, a boulder under a tree. Actually I put the boulder under this tree years ago, after I discovered how good the lighting was under the tree. I also use this same pose in the studio, but I use one of several white Formica covered blocks under the arm. I have several round ones, one stop sign shaped one and one square one, all about 12 inches thick. Original on Kodak Portra 400NC film Bronica GS 1 with a 150mm lens, F 5.6 @ 1/30th second.

Tally Ho

2. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm not crazy about the harsh shadows on the face but I do like the pose and the background you used is very natural and pretty.

3. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the lighting seems fine to me, if a little harsh (but not really). the pose seems a little forced though...like uncomfortable. almost as if she is just twisting her back. might just be me though. nice job with the composition and the setting!

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I know what's being said about the lighting raito, but sometimes ya gotta just do it when everything else is working. Nice work!

5. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

what else is working besides the composition and setting? her pose is awkward and very unnatural, thus ruining the shot for me. additionally, the dark shadow underneath her is distracting...looks like she's sitting on a truckers seat cushion.

6. Tally Ho

Tally Ho TPF Noob!

(Cut and paste) "looks like she's sitting on a truckers seat cushion." Actually it is a piece of black carpet. It keeps the butt from getting wet.

A poorly posed subject will look static and boring in a photograph. Things like the head not tipped, shoulders straight to the camera, sitting square on the buttocks, both knees at the same height, both feet at the same height, both hands at the same height, flat lighting, expressionless face, hands stacked on top of one another, hands stacked on top of knees and cropping at the joints. As one can see I broke NONE of these rules when I took this image.

I see it is time to post "The 25 Rules For Better Portraits" for those who would like to learn portraiture from a master photographer. I will dig them up and post them for all to see.

Tally Ho

7. Christie Photo

Well... like you say... the setting is OK, providing enough depth for a portrait with enough elements of the outdoors to satisfy an "outdoor session." And the composition too is OK. I would like to see a bit more room on the left of the frame. Also, the clothing could have been better. A long-sleeved, deeper toned shirt would have been a big improvement.

The posing isn't so far off that it fails. I would like to see her shift her weight a bit to her right hip and not so flat on her bottom. Bring her left elbow up, closer to her knee. I feel the head it turned a bit too far with the nose pointing past the the camera. Sadly, the rock is too tall. Rocks can't be adjusted... easily. The hands are not posed well. This would be a good time for a prop to hold, such as a blade of grass, flower, etc., otherwise close them a bit, but leaving the index fingers relaxed. The bare feet are fun.

Finally, a diffuser in front of the lens would help a bit with the strong lighting ratio, decreasing contrast. I would finish with a vignette aroud the whole thing.

Whew! I guess I was a bit lazy with this critique. Thanks, Jon, for the nudge. But I gotta tell ya, this one is not a catastrophic failure. They'll come back for more of this.

8. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

which 'master photographer' did you have in mind?

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it's how the hands are hanging...that caught mt attention right away...somehow they just don't look right.

The lighting is very nice though.

10. Christie Photo

Easy now.... this one wouldn't "hang."

-Pete

11. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

maybe not, but you must agree it looks like she's halfway into the 'exorsist spin'

12. Christie Photo

:lmao: