Outdoors photography

Ronniedee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm close to buying my first DSLR. The Nikon D40 and Canon XS are my current favorites, but I thought I better ask before I made the investment. I plan to take my camera in the outdoors backpacking and fishing. Besides doing my best to keep it dry, is there anything else I need to consider when hauling the camera around in the elements? Does this change the models I should be considering? One benefit I like in the D40 is its small size and lightweight. Will it fare ok otherwise for backpacking/fishing?

Thanks!

Either of those models will be practically the same in terms of how & where you can use them.

My advice is just to be careful with it, but don't be too afraid to use it. Be prepared for sudden weather changes. I like to keep some plastic bags and shower caps in my camera bag, just in case it starts to rain while I'm shooting.

I have the Canon XS and I really am enjoying it as an entry level DSLR. Also, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but when the two are compared side by side I am pretty sure the XS has more capabilities/better??

D40 has a better kit lens and has an easier to use interface. Personally I would go with the D40 but I would go hold them both at a best buy or local camera store first. It's all personal preference on how they feel, shoot, look, etc...

My self personally....I perfer to use old film bodies when "the elements", boats and/or rocks are involved. There is a lot fewer water and shock sensitive components in them. Granted yeah there are weather and shock resistant digital cameras on the market, but non of them fall in the general consumer category.

Yeah, the old SLR's weigh more but with less worry about it getting wet or falling, there is a lot less unneccessary precautionaly stuff to toat around with you cluttering up your bag.

But that is just my oppinion, take it at whatever value you see fit.

I've gotten some nice shots in terenchial down pours that no consumer level dSLR could get with ot with out baggies and showercaps.

*EDIT*

I also love keeping my TLb right in my tackle box for fishing outings.....:D Should it get dropped in the drink...it can go to the bottom, it won't cost a fortune to replace.

The problem of keeping your gear dry depends on how and how long you go camping.

If you're going for a fishing weekend with a tent, I would think that plastic bags would do the trick. But if you're going to cross waterways on foot and there is a chance of your falling in, you want something more serious.

I took several trips into the Amazon jungle, there for a few weeks with no tent, and always had my gear and film in waterproof bags. You need to make sure they are made of a material that breathes though so as to not trap moisture inside the bag with your gear. ;) Got mine from a boating/kayaking store and they were not cheap but a lot cheaper than losing my gear and film.

Sea to Summit USA - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear Posted this earlier under another thread but since dry bags and backpacking were brought up I thought I'd throw it out there. I've been using one of these all summer while backpacking nearly constantly and have experienced quite a bit of rain. Its been dependable and is cheaper and lighter than traditional drybags. No problems yet.

Though I shoot Nikon gear I have to say the XS has better RAW image quality and more usable high ISO capability. It will also cost about 25% more than the D40. Unfortunately, the Canon kit lens is just barely worth having. If you can, get just the XS body. I'd recommend getting Canon's 'nifty fifty' 50mm f/1.8 lens (about $100) instead.

The other disadvantage of inexpensive entry level cameras is they lack weather sealing. In the Nikon line you would need to look for a good used D200 to get weather sealing at a price point near that of the D40/XS. The D200 is a larger camera but it also has a lot more features in addition to the peace of mind the weather sealing brings.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Canon kit lens is just barely worth having.

While this used to be true, it simply is not accurate any more. The 18-55 IS is a much much better lens than its non-IS predecessor.

I agree with tsaraleski, I have been wanting to upgrade my kit lens, but I've found it actually takes pretty decent pics. I've got the XSi and take it hiking with me every time I go out. I also bought the nifty fifty as well as the 100mm macro and love hiking w/ my macro lens. This is my first "real" camera and while I'm still a newb, with some research and lots of playing around, I've found the interface on the camera really easy to get used to.

Unfortunately, the Canon kit lens is just barely worth having.

While this used to be true, it simply is not accurate any more. The 18-55 IS is a much much better lens than its non-IS predecessor.
So, if you get the kit lens be sure it has IS (Image Stabilization).

I agree with tsaraleski, I have been wanting to upgrade my kit lens, but I've found it actually takes pretty decent pics. I've got the XSi and take it hiking with me every time I go out. I also bought the nifty fifty as well as the 100mm macro and love hiking w/ my macro lens. This is my first "real" camera and while I'm still a newb, with some research and lots of playing around, I've found the interface on the camera really easy to get used to.
Thanks. I ended up going with a camera I wasn't even seriously considering-- the Canon XSi with 18-55 IS kit lens. Also, I got the 55-250 IS lens, too, as part of the deal. I appreciate everbody's feedback. The plan is to do much hiking with it. If you're carrying a tripod, can you recommend a bag?

If anyone does any backpacking, do you have any other recommendations on the lightest way to hike/camp in the wilderness with a camera and still have the equipment necessary to snap the shots you want? I don't see much wildlife in the mountains of NC, but there are many wonderful views.

Each October I spend a week in the NC mountains for the fall foliage in a tent. Last year I took my big honker zooms on the trail..... not this year, I'll be taking my primes instead. Although I like to scout out the waterfalls and a tripod is nice for stability and long exposures, this year I think I'll just take the monopod on trail, but keep the tripod at camp in case "The Scene" appears and I can go back to it.

The past two years I camped in the Brevard area with waterfalls galore, the previous two years in the Linville area. This year I think it be at the top end of the BRP. There is a really good book "Noth Carolina Waterfalls - A Hiking and Photography Guide" by Kevin Adams that I keep with me when I head for the mountains.

Last edited:
Are you kidding I've seen three bear in the past month and a half in NC. Of course I wasn't prepared which just goes to show you. Anyhow, when I'm backpacking with my camera I like to have it in a chase attached to my sternum strap for quick access. So a case that could do that for me is a must. After that I'd definately say you'll want some form of tripod whether that be a full on tripod or one of those 6 inch bendable numbers. A slide release will go hand in hand with the tripod especially if you want to catch those early morning foggy shots or many of the great waterfalls in the areas. I'm sure others will offer more.

Most reactions

Back