Over 30 years ago

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Over thirty years ago when I was just 12 or so my father would take me downtown to shoot the Erickson Air Crane installing pieces on the CN Tower and tonight, 30 years later, Erickson returned with a Air Crane to recreate the CN Tower lifts and celebrate the 30th anniversary of the CN Tower, the World’s tallest free standing structure

Today
cnt20066257889_copy.jpg

Over 30 years ago
cnt197602_copy.jpg

cnt197603_copy.jpg

cnt20066257861_copy.jpg

cnt20066257916_copy.jpg

cnt20066257950_copy.jpg

cnt20066257957_copy.jpg

Another vintage shot from the archives
cnt197604_copy.jpg

And now the best part. Me when I was 11 or 12
cnt197606.jpg

and now
cnt20066251787_copy.jpg

Lerry Pravecek piloted the Air Crane for the 44 CN Tower lifts and flew on the anniversary flight
cnt20066257980_copy.jpg

cnt20066251806_copy.jpg

Man am I tired. Seven weekends on the road, the last three days at an airshow then I drive downtown and squeeze in this shoot. Can’t wait until next weekend, it is a long weekend, Canada Day Woohoo!, and we are heading to the cottage for three days of doing nothing.

Cheers,

Eric

Awesome. What an interesting way to build a structure. Although I suppose that's the only possible way to build the world's largest free-standing structure, seeing that if a crane had built it then the crane would take the title. Must be quite a hoot to pilot that thing.

Now that is one MAD looking copter
What is it?

A Sikorsky S-64. They were built for the US Army and can carry heavy objects. It is shaped to carry a rectangle field hospital. Very cool helicopter.

Eric

Brilliant series Airic.:thumbup: :thumbup:

What a thoroughly enjoyable post, Eric!!!! Love the comparison of 'then and now', both as to the 'copter hovering, and you standing in front of it. It's a very cool looking helicopter, and I wish I'd known it was there as it was just down the street from me. Thanks so much for sharing your pics (and digging out the old ones!)

awesome! thank you for sharing! What a great comparison!

great series eric, I actually just saw on cbc that today was the 30th anniversary of the building. It's very cool to see the shots of it being constructed, I had actually never thought about how they built it before...

Great story, and great series! :thumbup: Just loved all the pictures, both from the archives and especially yours. How fun and strange it must have felt to get those side-by-side shots of you from age 12 to today! :D

Wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. It sure was amazing to see yesterday. After a full weekend working an airshow the last thing I wanted to do was go downtown but I’m sure glad I went. It was a real trip back in time for me and an event I’m glad I did not miss.

For those that read this Monday night it is supposed to take-off around 6am Tuesday, weather permitting.

Cheers,

Eric

Most reactions

Back