Over exposed?

Pjoseph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
haas325-R1-045-21.jpg

i took this picture yesterday two stops down from what the meter recommended. i was wondering what other people might have run across while shooting with a red filter and might be able to share some info.
i'm wondering do you think i should have gone down two more stops?

It's very overexposed. Which red filter were you using?

and, if the filter was in place when metering, why overexpose, digital is like slide/transparency film, slight underexposure is usually the way to go, what were you trying to achieve. H

ok, i'm fairly new to filters so here's what it says.
7726 red 25A by Ambico

25 is as light as they come. Just follow your meter. No need to over-expose.

allright. thanks for your help!

would you happen to know of any other place that i would be able to learn more about filters?

would you happen to know of any other place that i would be able to learn more about filters?

This may sound dumb and old school, but go to the closest local library and find some books on photography. Many of the older books, pre-digital, will have a section on filters, what they do and how to use them.

A web search is always easier, but I still like to read a book and turn pages, not flip screens.

With the advent of digital, filters are in the software, so most aren't used that often while taking the original picture. Not that they can't be, but filters for digital are relatively unnecessary.

Can't you just replicate a red filter in Photoshop

Can't you just replicate a red filter in Photoshop
i probably could, but honestly i don't like to use Photoshop on my pictures unless it's absolutely necessary.

I find photoshop essential for all digital images. Even if just to add a little sharpening.

It may be possible to simulate the effects of a red filter using photoshop. However, it's not possible to duplicate them, as a red filter actually prevents certain wavelengths of light from reaching the film/sensor.

I find photoshop essential for all digital images. Even if just to add a little sharpening.
i probably should have said that i don't shoot digital.
thank you all for your help

Most reactions

Back