Tighearnach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

Just wondering people think this shot has been overcooked in Photoshop Elements. I have original and shopped versions below.

4087226178_879207c48b_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2533/4087226362_2dffffe1fb_o.jpg

4087226362_2dffffe1fb_o.jpg

Any advice on how to approach sunset shots in the dark room greatly appreciated.

Thanks
T

Last edited:
use the img tags first of all, and i didnt feel it was TOO photoshoped, but still might want to tone it down a bit

It is not a matter of overshopping. The original was better before you shopped it. Postprocessing is supposed to make the photo better, not worse.

skieur

Ok fair enough. Id really like points on whats worse and what i should/could do to improve it.

Finding it quite difficult to learn to use Elements....

Ok fair enough. Id really like points on whats worse and what i should/could do to improve it.

Finding it quite difficult to learn to use Elements....

TBH i didn't find the first picture better then the second, like i said, i think that although you might have overdone the second picture a bit, it was not bat at all, i think im going to try to faux-HDR this, idk how its going to be but itd be interesting
old
4087226178_879207c48b_o.jpg
new
4086555983_c09f2ba9dd_o.jpg

what i did was create an underexposed, overexposed and normal picture, put them all in photomatix pro, generated HDR image, toned down a bit saturation, idk wether you prefer or dont, but i think it came out just right ;P

Thanks for your example Instinct. Looks good. Havent tried HDR processing before myself.

what i did was create an underexposed, overexposed and normal picture, put them all in photomatix pro, generated HDR image, toned down a bit saturation, idk wether you prefer or dont, but i think it came out just right ;P

Well, I see what you did there. But I can't say it makes a huge difference.

However, the process you are using to create HDRs is a VERY quality damaging process. Every time you make an exposure adjustment in a jpeg, data is lost. If it was a raw file that you were doing this with, it would be put to better effect. ACR handles photos much better than a simple jpeg in photoshop, and you can control the exposure in it much better. (Not to mention you retain a lot more data using raw)

Original look much better!

Hey Dominantly

Thanks for your help. I can see what you mean about the noise. Seems very bad. It was shot at ISO 400. Do you think the noise is down to the ISO or is down to poor exposure or both. I shot in RAW. Whats the best tool in Elements for noise reduction or did you use an external program to do it. If using elements should the noise reductiob be done in the RAW editor or not?

Thanks again

Hey Dominantly

Thanks for your help. I can see what you mean about the noise. Seems very bad. It was shot at ISO 400. Do you think the noise is down to the ISO or is down to poor exposure or both. I shot in RAW. Whats the best tool in Elements for noise reduction or did you use an external program to do it. If using elements should the noise reductiob be done in the RAW editor or not?

Thanks again
I deleted the original post, the files got tweaked, sorry.

You need to download these two free trials
Adjust 3
Topaz Adjust - Redefining Creative Exposure

and the Denoise3
Topaz DeNoise - Advanced Image Noise Reduction Removes Noise, Not Details

Risk free, full versions to try for 30 days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back