Over/Under exposed???

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by amara_shadow, Nov 13, 2007.

1. amara_shadow

amara_shadow TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    can someone explain over and under exposed to me please? And what will happen to the photos if they are either under or over exposed. And how to avoid it happening I guess.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Over exposure is when too much light enters the camera, making the pictures look too bright. Under exposure is the opposite, when not enough light comes in, and the photos will be very dark.

In both these cases details can be lost, and you can't get them back. To avoid it, use the histogram on a digital camera to tell you if the image is properly exposed or not.

3. amara_shadow

amara_shadow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for that - have had a couple of photos that have been overexposed - lots of white light in the picture, and a couple that are underexposed - should have mentioned that I am using a film camera as well.

4. playswithlight

playswithlight TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In that case, if you don't believe what the meter in your camera is telling you, just bracket your exposure and do one stop up and down on either side, that way you're safe.

5. amara_shadow

amara_shadow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't quite worked out the meter with my camera yet - perhaps should look at working that out.

6. dermit

dermit TPF Noob!

Also realize that depending on what you are shooting with... film, slide, negatives, digital, will also dictate what dynamic range your image can capture. Negative film will see more range than slide film, or digital will for example. So there can be situations where you will need to choose between exposing for the shadows or for the highlights.