Overbought Equipment?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Russell, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Russell

Russell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello Everyone,

I thought it might be useful to everyone to talk about... that little secret... that one little piece of equipment that you spent a lot of money on...

** - Which you don't use very often

OR

** - Which didn't live up your expectations.

So what is that piece of equipment for you?

Thanks,

Russell Schutte
    www.russellschutte.com

2. Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS L... used it three times, just not my style of shooting.

Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro... great lens, I just never shoot macro

3. Ockie

Ockie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX HSM

on about 80% of the shots I keep thinking it should be sharper... bought a monopod, I thought it was because of hand shaking.. but still... oh well, great lens anyhow

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Polariser. When I need it it's at home and when I have it it's an overcast day.

/Edit: Sorry didn't see about the bit that said spent lots of money on. :er: I guess the battery grip comes close because technically I didn't need it, and couldn't afford it, but now I have it and use it always so I don't feel guilty about buying it.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Canon 70-200m f/2.8L IS USM - Wonderful zoom that I love and hated. This is claimed to be one of Canon's best zooms and a staple in the wedding photographer's work. I purchased this expensive lens brand new based on those reviews and samples. Used just a handful of times till I realized that I was miserable carrying the weight and that it didn't fit my style. I was sad the day I sold it but I have no regrets.

Lesson learned... reviews should be taken as a opinion and photography (and the equipment we use) is a very personal choice.

Other equipment that didn't meet my expectations... Canon IX lite APS SLR. Boy.. what in the world was I thinking.... lol

6. Oh, and the Leica Digilux 1. What a P.O.S!!!!

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Wow... Iron.. never heard you say P.O.S and Leica in the same breath.. hehe lol

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Tokina 80/200 f2.8 that I got for some of the same reasons usayit gave. Turns out I'd rather walk a mile than carry that thing around my neck 3 blocks. I still use it on occasion but I've got a Nice example of a Nikon 70-210 that's a third of the weight.

9. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG was a total bust for me. Got decent reviews and was 1/3 the price of the Canon equivalent, so I said "What the hell, I'll try it." Great build and finish, but that's about it. Slow AF, no HSM motor, so-so optics.

My upgrade to the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS was with regret because I parted with my f/4. Thought I could use the larger aperature and IS more, especially with the 1.4X TC, but honestly, I thought my pictures with the f/4 were sharper and more consistent. I never had to worry about image quality or "fuzziness" with my f/4 all the way down to 1/30. My f/2.8 was a crap-shoot until I got past the learning curve of how to use it. Just had to get a feel for it and it's nuances. Took me about 3 months though! Now the only thing that bothers me is the weight. Its like an albatross hanging around my neck. I wince when I have to use it over my EF 300 f/4 L IS. Time to drag out the cinder block!!! Great for working out your neck muscles though. :)

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    bought a Canon EF 75-300 (mkI) in my early Canon days. Not an expensive lens for me today, but it was at the time I bought it (lower income ;) ).

Well, often I did not have the lens with me when I would have needed it, or it was in my backpack when I had a great wildlife shooting chance, but then by the time I got it out ... those animals were gone ;)

I did use it 4 times in over 10 years or so and in those 4 times I was not impressed with image quality at all. So I sold it at ebay recently, for quite a lot of money considering it that old but not a collectible yet ;)

Apart from that, I had a few pieces of equipment which I thought useless soon after I bought them, but often, a couple of months later I started using them and got happier and happier with them and now could not live without them anymore ;)

11. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Either my kit lens or a crappy 10 dollar UV filter. Both just sit in my bag...I know 10 bucks isn't a lot....but I mean...I'm a student. 10 bucks is 10 bucks I can't save for stuff I need lol.

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ebay is your friend ... sell the filter for 15 ;)