overcast days...

zio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so granted i'm new to all of this as i'm sure many of you have noticed by the questions in some of my postings, but i find this forum one of the most helpfull i've ever seen.

ok, so my question is about overcast days. the pictures i've taken on overcast days suck more or less.

what advise do yall have for taking pictures when it's overcast out?

Well overcast days are wonderful for lighting. Unfortunately the lights a bit on the cool side. So a warming filter works wonders for overcast or shade photos.

What equipment are you using? What is your subject matter?

I agree with Voodoo. I'm smiling when I head out to an outdoor portrait shoot because it's much easier than dealing with the high contrast of a sunny day.

On the other hand, colors tend to be less saturated, and bluish.

It's also personal opinion, you may prefer higher contrast.

just my Canon Rebel 35mm SLR, tripod, remote, and a polarized filter (will it work on overcast days?). i figure my next investment will be a colored filter...

Are you shooting BW or color?

Yes, your pol works on overcast days, it's just that the effect is more subtle.

Post a pic and explain what about it you don't like.

i'll be shooting both bw and color films. now i'm shooting bw and but when i go back to school i'll be just using bw (i'm taking a class and that's all we'll use). i'll try and post some pics sooner or later. i just got my polarized filter the other day and i havent expended the roll yet. i'll get around to it sooner or later.
i'm really curious to see what everybody says about them. some i really like and others i can't tell if i do or not.

Although all conventional wisdom does say that overcast days are great for photography I'm with you on this one. I like bright shiny days. The reason is because things appear a lot sharper with the shadows and things that are a result of direct sunlight. On the other hand, in portraiture shadows are not flattering.

i'll take a diffused light (overcast day) any day of the week. i do very often do high contrast work, but i plan that in advance (not the weather - studio).

i shoot b&w film, meter appropriately, and fire away.

can you post an example?

Most reactions

Back