Overcome.

bullshark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm completely overcome with frustration. Maybe someone can help me out. I spent an 2 hours today editing photos from an Equestrian event yesterday. I edited each one so that it looked fantastic (Editing done on my desktop). I uploaded them to Zenfolio (first time doing so), looked at them on my laptop to double check them and BOOM, nothing like they looked when I edited them. Colors nowhere near as brilliant, quality of the photo just wasnt there. Noisy in some, washed out in others.

On my desktop I have my default colorspace to sRGB 2.1 (Through Windows). I edited all the pictures from CameraRaw (At the bottom of camera raw color space is sRGB 2.1). After RAW processing, editing and saving as JPEG done in PS CS3. My PS color profile for RGB is sRGB 2.1. Uploaded to Zenfolio using desktop, and on zenfolio look fantastic when viewed using desktop (all browsers)

My laptop default colorspace is sRGB 2.1. My Sony and my HP laptops look eh, a little washed out, not so noisy. My older Compaq laptop looks both noisy and washed out. All color profiles checked via windows color management. All set to sRGB 2.1.

Someone please help! These people want to buy my photos but I'm afraid to make them public b/c of how they might see them!

here is a link njsphotog.zenfolio.com

You will have to accept the fact that not all monitors and computer and even different browsers show pics in the same manner.

Alsom if you edited your pictures on a calibrated monitor and your clients are looking at it on uncalibrated monitors, there, too, will be differences and there is nothing you can do short of calibrating all their monitors for them, which is not feasible in the real world.

I find there is a huge difference between the lcd monitors and crt. My first bunch I processed on the laptop were WAY too saturated when I had them printed. I now only do my processing on my trusty old crt (it needs calinrating though...doh!). I find my prints turn out true to how I processed them when I use my CRT.

Good luck!

Not just CRT vs. LCD. At home, my photos look great to me. I have printed them on my cheapie printer and have had them printed. They all look the same.

I view some photos on my work office computer connected to the CRT on my desk (laptop), and they look OK. I open the laptop and look at them on the LCD, they look washed out. I go up to the equipment control room where I work and on that CRT, everyone's photos are dark. Some so dark that there appears to be absolutely no info in the subject.

I think it also goes beyond simple monitor calibration. It also has to do with the graphics chip or card that you have. On my control PC at work, I can't get the display right for anything. I have just recently switched monitors on my office and control PC, and the control PC still looks horrible and I can't fix it. It probably has to do with the cheap onboard graphics chip in comparison to the better graphics chip on my office laptop.

bullshark post a link. It wouldn't be the first time someone insisted that everything was just fine in their image only that we find that the wrong colour profile is embedded in it.

I would never use an un-calibrated monitor to post process. Sure it is true that you can't please everyone's monitor, but if your baseline is your monitor and it is calibrated (and often), then that is the best one can do. Being mindful of color space will be beneficial too.

I do what I write here and have little issues with differences between what I post process and how it looks on the web. But of course viewers that see my work on the net could think "wow...too much contrast or saturation, or this or that"...I accept this.

I cant stand LCDs myself. They mever seem right to me everything looks washed out on the majority I have seen. It never ceases to amaze me how many people never calibrate theirs either. I see my images on other peoples computers and, just want to bury my head.

bullshark post a link. It wouldn't be the first time someone insisted that everything was just fine in their image only that we find that the wrong colour profile is embedded in it.

Post a link to what? the photos?

momentscaptured.zenfolio.com

I calibrated the laptop monitor and its better than it was. I checked calibration on my desktop (where the editing is done) and its perfect. The look great on my monitor, I can only hope thy look great on others. Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure what they're "supposed" to look like, but they look ok to me.

You have some wonderful shots there! I'm sure they are very happy...and no, they looked fine (if a tad "dull") on my crt, though I do know on my laptop they'd be way washed out (colour-wise). Like we said before, is all in the settings. What matters is the comp, and yours is great :)

Most reactions

Back