Overdeveloping Color Film

JamesD

Between darkrooms
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, I don't work with color film in the darkroom, so this isn't really critical, but I'm curious... what happens when you overdevelop it? I know that with BW film, you get increased density, but all the silver is bleached out of C-41 types, right? So, what happens with the dyes?

Do you mean like pushing the development of C-41? Is that your question? I do not think it’s typically done, if at all. With C-41 most adjustment are make at printing.

The film maybe shot at different ISO but processed at its standard ISO. The results will depend on the film. I have shot Agfa 160 at 100 ISO, it gave you a nice soft focus look.

I’m not positive about positives.

Yes, C-41-process film. And no, not pushing... overdevelopment, such as might be caused by excessive temperature, agitation, time, or some combination thereof.

Thank ya! :thumbup: I was looking more for a personal experience point of view than a book answer, though. I wasn't quite as specific about that as I was about the type of film I was talking about. However, it was a passing curiosity, so that'll do.

Have a great day!
-JamesD

It will increase your density however not in the same way as B&W film. It also depends on the film that you are using. Saturation is also effected. All of this depends on the reason for the overdevelopment. Time, temp, concentration and agitation effect the film in different ways.

Most reactions

Back