Overkill for equipment ?

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My last 2 events I photographed had good results. I brought my flash on a lightstand with a soft box. The first time I did this was because it was an indoor event in a dark "candle lit" atmosphere. There was simply no other way to get results that would meet the bar I have set for myself in that kind of dark atmosphere. I liked the results of the flash off the camera that I did this again with the next event I did, even though it was under bright florescent lights. I enjoy the freedom of having the flash off camera (freedom for variety of photos, not of mobility through a crowd carrying my gear, that is not freedom). I am planning on doing this again for the event I am photographing that is upcoming. However I have never seen another photographer do this. I usually see a flash on camera with a little flash diffusor. I tend to feel self conscious for the first 30 mintues of the events with all my gear, but once I get in the zone I tend to block that out. Does anyone else do this... is this overkill?

Well, I don't think it's really truly overkill, but it does cause a little bit of a disturbance at some events. I guess it depends on the degree of interfering with the event that you feel comfortable with. For example at a funeral or wake such a set up would obviously be terribly frowned upon. But at a wedding,? Maybe it would be OK. Or maybe not. I personally do not like to have a light that moves around at an event like that, but I have set up an umbrella and a 400 W second single flash head or two bounced off of ceilings to bring up ambient light, but I have left the light stands in place.

I don't know how people view this? I myself think it's OK, but then I'm photo centric. Perhaps regular people think it's too much. I can understand feeling self-conscious.

This is a really great answer that helps me weigh the pros and cons. I had a chuckle at the idea of doing that at a funeral :) I generally do fundraisers and events for non-profit orgainzations, not weddings or such (although the event in the dark setting that I did this with the first time was formal). To me the results are worth the hassle of going through a crowd with a lightstand in one hand and camera in the other. I just love how the light falls out of the difusser and that I am not tied to all pictures having the flash head on from where I am taking the photo. I find that people are pretty respectful, move out of the way, or see me coming and try to get in the picture (which is always welcome to have willing subjects). I keep expecting the event coordinators to come up and tell me "ah, no... you can't walk through the crowd like that" but no-one has yet and when they see the photos they are very pleased and I get a positive response. I do like the idea of keeping them in place and bouncing them off the ceiling, but my next event is in a large room with very high ceilings (about 2 stories over my head). But I will keep this idea in mind for when I have smaller rooms to deal with. But the self conscious thing gets me still... that is why I wanted opinions on here. I feel like any other photographers at these events see me and are like "what the heck is she up to?" lol. Pros and cons. I guess if I want the results I just have to suck it up and block out the self conscious.....

What I generally do is have my speedlight on a TTL cable or use a TTL wireless trigger and have the light in one hand camera in the other. A light on a stand with a modifier would definitely give better results, but it's also a pain to navigate with...

What I generally do is have my speedlight on a TTL cable or use a TTL wireless trigger and have the light in one hand camera in the other. A light on a stand with a modifier would definitely give better results, but it's also a pain to navigate with...

This is also a good idea. So you can stretch your arm with the flash out to the side or put it high or lower... Do you struggle holding the camera and taking the picture with one hand, or is that just something you have gotten used to?

Just something I've become used to; it helps that my hands are large enough such that I can operate the zoom with a fingertip when it's necessary. It can get tiring after a long evening, but it eliminates a potential tripping hazard and more importantly (for me, at least) eliminates the chance of me forgetting where I put my ligh.... SQUIRREL!

Just something I've become used to; it helps that my hands are large enough such that I can operate the zoom with a fingertip when it's necessary. It can get tiring after a long evening, but it eliminates a potential tripping hazard and more importantly (for me, at least) eliminates the chance of me forgetting where I put my ligh.... SQUIRREL!

haha! Thanks for sharing. I appreciated the response and new idea.

I tried that just now at home. My hands are too petite. I wouldn't be able to hold and take the picture with one hand. :(

As for me, I would not have confidence in my ability to hold my camera with one hand and make a steady shutter release. I need all the steady-holding technique that I can muster.

And I already use one of those hand-strap attachments.

One idea is to ask a friend (who might also be a photographer) to carry your light with modifier around and point it at whoever you're going to get in the photograph. The secondary advantage of this plan is that you would not even need a light stand. Just a person holding what looks like a white umbrella with a flash stuck in it. But the two of you would have to be on the same page as to where the light needs to be and where to point it.

As for me, I would not have confidence in my ability to hold my camera with one hand and make a steady shutter release. I need all the steady-holding technique that I can muster.

And I already use one of those hand-strap attachments.

One idea is to ask a friend (who might also be a photographer) to carry your light with modifier around and point it at whoever you're going to get in the photograph. The secondary advantage of this plan is that you would not even need a light stand. Just a person holding what looks like a white umbrella with a flash stuck in it. But the two of you would have to be on the same page as to where the light needs to be and where to point it.

This is a good idea. At least for the first day (it is a 3 day event) until I see just how crowded it is.

So I guess the main question is a "would you" question. If it boils down to only 2 choices (say I can't find an assistant to hold the light).... Would you put the flash on the camera with the diffuser or Would you just put aside what others thing and get the lightstand and diffuser and go for the best photos possible and hope that you aren't asked to put it away (which I doubt would happen.)?

Camera in one hand, prime lens, ttl cable, hold flash in right hand. Works good. Or you can buy those off camera flash brackets but I don't care much for them.

I use a Strobaframe Quick-Flip at walk around events. But I have mine with a Manfroto QR plate base added to it. The speedlight is connected by an SC-17 cable (3' coiled cable for non-Nikon folk). I can mount the camera to a tripod / head, or to the Quick-Flip. And if I want, can mount the entire thing on the tripod/head. I have used this set up for a very long time.

Sorry, I hid the lower QR plate with the hotshoe connector.

37132-1508279748-f7587c4a8ecf9b84cb71cdc9c933cbd9.jpg

Would you put the flash on the camera with the diffuser ..
About the largest diffuser that I would put on an on-camera speedlight is one of those 8" x 10" (?) (IIRC) softbox attachments. They are very light weight, so weight is not a problem, but at some point a large diffuser may begin to interfere with the operation of your camera.

If you have a white plastic "dome" diffuser, that will help, but depending on the venue, I would probably just bounce the flash off the ceiling or a nearby wall. Even without the dome attachment. So if the ceiling is white or light-colored, then just swivel the head upward and snap away.

I've done sports and events using the existing light. I don't think I've ever seen a photographer at an event toting around a light stand, etc. When/if the local news would show up they'd be dragging their camera equipment in, but usually get their footage or interview and then they're done and out of there. It doesn't seem practical to be carting equipment around when you're working an event, especially if it's a longer event.

Most reactions

Back