Owners Permission?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Wolff, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Wolff

Wolff TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I plan on checking out some antique car shows this summer and would love to turn it into a photo series. Since I would potentially show/sell the photos are there any legal issues I should consider? Do I need any sort of permission from the owners?

2. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You'll need a property release since you plan on selling them.

3. Wolff

Wolff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I figured I had to have something, thanks.

4. Jim Gratiot

Jim Gratiot TPF Noob!

I would get permission, just to be safe... although I think most car owners would love the idea.

What about having each owner talk a bit about his/her car... and then using their words as part of your photo series.

In other words, work with the car owners... and I'm sure you'll find most of them eager to talk to you.

5. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

Talking to them is a great way to build rapport before asking to snap off pictures. Being a car guy myself, it really depends on who you run into, but I'd say a good 90% of the people I know would be happy to let you take a picture of the car if you give them a copy. Getting the story of the car can also give you more interesting point of views to shoot from. Say this car had a modified fender or something, you could focus on that.

6. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I agree with S2K1. A guy once asked my dad if he could include my dad's Ferrari in a shoot that he was going to make calendars out of and sell. My dad agreed on the condition that he got a copy of the calendar and it was that simple.