? P, A, S, and M modes on Nikon help

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I'm wanting to learn to use my d-40 correctly and make use of these manual modes but I don't fully understand all of them. I understand the aperature and shutter priority (a and s modes) somewhat and will post a couple pics soon but I want to understand my camera better. suggestions? or books that would be good for learning?

thanks

Last edited:
RTFM...in other words, read the frickin' manual.

thank you so very much for your help, but the manual doesn't cut it, I need a little bit more in depth help w/ examples. oh yeah, thanks for the help.

Heaven forbid someone come into the beginners forum and ask about PSAM modes.

This helped me out a LOT when I got my first DSLR (D40):
D40 | Digitutor | Global Site | Nikon Imaging

On the left, click 'Open Menu' then select P, S, A, M ;)

Go through the whole thing, you'll learn a lot - it's very well done and easy to understand as well.

This helped me out a LOT when I got my first DSLR (D40):
D40 | Digitutor | Global Site | Nikon Imaging

On the left, click 'Open Menu' then select P, S, A, M ;)

Go through the whole thing, you'll learn a lot - it's very well done and easy to understand as well.

thank you :)

RTFM...in other words, read the frickin' manual.
Uhmmm...., sorry dude (NOYZE), but that is an appropriate first response.....RTFM. Lots can be learned from the manual.... as well as Google, Wikipedia and untold other sources.

Then ask specifics.......

One source that gets quite a few mentions is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Then ask specifics.......

Just my 2¢. Cheers......

No need for the beginners forum then right? - Everyone should just open your manual and search Google for your answers.

Sorry, but I don't think anybody should be made to feel foolish for asking a question, regardless. Sometimes default explanations don't help - where a video showing what is happening can be much more helpful.

Regardless, there's much better ways to convey that message than RTFM - and in you've actually done so yourself you'd realize it's not all that descriptive.

Last edited:
No need for the beginners forum then right? - Everyone should just open your manual and search Google for your answers.

Sorry, but I don't think anybody should be made to feel foolish for asking a question, regardless. Sometimes default explanations don't help - where a video showing what is happening can be much more helpful.

Regardless, there's much better ways to convey that message than RTFM - and in you've actually done so yourself you'd realize it's not all that descriptive.

thanks for your input! I'm new to photography but I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for the link. I read through the modes in the book but I need a little bit more guidance. So, thanks again for suggesting a resource and remembering what it was like to get started!

[quote NOYZE]No need for the beginners forum then right?[/quoteNOYZE]
91174851.jpg (image)

Will never be a better alternative than doing your own research. Retention is much more lasting then. When the answers evade you, ask specifcs.

Vague, unequivocal questions justify asinine responses.

I've read every ****ing manual for every ****ing piece of equipment that I own.

Ask a particular question about your (Nikon) gear and I will gladly download the owners manual and give you the specific page that the answer is on.

Lots of snobbery compounded with the same question that is constantly asked brings all this out....

Shortcourses.com

That was one of the first sites I found searching around and was extremely helpful in learning things about photography.

thanks for your input! I'm new to photography but I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for the link. I read through the modes in the book but I need a little bit more guidance. So, thanks again for suggesting a resource and remembering what it was like to get started!

No problem at all, I hope you get the info you're looking for. :thumbup:

91174851.jpg (image)

Will never be a better alternative than doing your own research. Retention is much more lasting then. When the answers evade you, ask specifcs.

Ask a particular question about your (Nikon) gear and I will gladly download the owners manual and give you the specific page that the answer is on.

Look, I'm new, but I'm no fool. Perhaps I should have phrased my question better but I was hoping someone would direct me to a helpful resource, book, link, etc. so I could cut to the chase and not waste time looking but instead start learning and that is exactly what NOYZE did for me.:thumbup:

thanks mrodgers, beautiful labrador btw!

I have to agree that the manual taught me how to use my Nikon D40. But I just bought a book a few days ago that gave examples as far as pictures and explained D-SLRs (non-brand specific) in a lot more detail. I have the book Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies 2nd Edition by David D. Busch.

However, even the book only has about 6-10 pages that talks about the different modes. It tells you just like the manual what the modes are for but it also explains the best ways to set the options for those modes such as getting the right exposure and setting white balance which I think might actually be what you are trying to ask us.

91174851.jpg (image)

+1. Same here and I've read them completely several times. I carry a few of them in the laptop compartment of my gear bag so they're handy.

Though I've had my D200 awhile, I had that manual out earlier today looking for information about 'Image Authentication' in the Set-Up menu. The manual doesn't cover it but I'll find out about it over the next couple of days, without posting a question to a forum.

I do that for two reasons. First, I'll retain the information better once I find it, and second, by tracking the answer down myself there's a really good chance I'll learn a couple of other new things during the search.

Most reactions

Back