P&S For Grandma

Just look for the easiest to use P+S with no bell and whistles for around $100. She is just going to put it and auto and forget it anyway.

I got my girlfriend a Canon A590 IS for her 20th birthday, she likes it quite a bit :) I havnt seen any downloaded pictures from it but My brother is on his second Canon "A" series and even his old 3.1 megapixel took some GREAT pictures! the A590 IS has a viewfinder, 8MP (more than enough) 4x optical zoom, and you can get them for $130 most places. I got it from B&H Photo, under $120 shipped! best part for grandma: takes AA batteries. If the batteries die on her she can get new ones just about anywhere (big reason for getting one for my gf...) Also has Image stabilization, a good thing for aging hands that get shaky. Heck, both of my digital cameras have had it and I wont live without it!

I know she said the D40 was too big, but what about an Olympus E-300 or E-420? The two smallest DSLRs currently available, not the hottest high ISO ever but definitely better than a P&S and an E-300 can be had for a song.

I have a friend who is in his 70's and has shaky hands. His daughter bought him a digital camera. When he's shot a bunch of photos, he either gives it to me to download the photos--he's a friend--or he does what he did with film and takes the camera to the camera shop, hands it to the young lady, and says, "Print these."

He really has two problems. One is the lack of a viewfinder and the other is understanding "modes". He sets it on "green" and shoots. Nighttime, indoors, outdoors, all the same. A lot of his indoor shots are blurry and I thought at first it was shaky hands but it's shooting at 1/15th of a second.

Most reactions

Back