Packaging/Handling Sheet Film for Mailing

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you guys do it? Is it okay to simply lay the film one sheet on another? I was thinking I'd handle the film with nitrile/latex/vinyl gloves also.

Also not sure what the USPS is doing re: x-raying packages these days. Or should I use UPS/FedEx?

I want keep fingerprints/scratches/scuffs off the emulsion.

I only used bare hands (freshly washed) and handled it by the edges. As far as shipping, one would HOPE that the shipper has checked that, but it wouldn't hurt to double-check ('though why they should be inspecting internal mail is beyond me).

I only used bare hands (freshly washed) and handled it by the edges. As far as shipping, one would HOPE that the shipper has checked that, but it wouldn't hurt to double-check ('though why they should be inspecting internal mail is beyond me).

Can the film just lay one sheet on another? Do I need to put anything inbetween them?

Can the film just lay one sheet on another? Do I need to put anything inbetween them?

Most sheet filmers that bring film to us to process just repackage the film in the box it came in (some just use the box and not the black bag) and they are laying on top of one another. We also have peeps send it to us through the mail the same way and the film comes out just fine.
We get film in all sizes shipped to us mostly by USPS, I've never noticed any x-ray fog after process.

Thanks, everyone! That's what I'll do.

Sorry, missed that bit. Yep, unless something has changed, that's exactly the way it will come to you, just like paper. 10, 20, 50, or 100 sheets atop one another, just like a ream of paper. Always try and put it down flat on the sheet below; in other words, avoid dragging the edge of the new sheet on the one below, but film is actually fairly rugged stuff. As long as you're a little bit careful, you'll have no issues.

Most people that shoot large format will process themselves because they will not trust others to do it

Most people that shoot large format will process themselves because they will not trust others to do it

Relax, he's getting there. Give him a chance to get used to the camera and shooting sheet film first. He's working his way up.

The USPS doesn't xray mail.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back