Packaging matted and framed work

flyingember

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't trust places like FedEx to properly package my artwork.

Has anyone purchased photography-specific packaging that's cost effective and ships the product safely? If so, where did you purchase it from?

Staples and ULine.

You don't need photography specific packaging, just packaging know-how.

What's the biggest size you need to ship?

I was just at Staples, looking at some envelopes big enough for 11x14 prints. They had padded envelopes and cardboard 'photo mailers'. They also had 'book mailer boxes' which were about the same size, but 2" thick, which would allow for padding to go around a print or frame etc.

I'm not sure how much I'd trust these for regular mail service though.

That's the catch, can you trust it. Once you get to really nice mat boards, you want the corners to stay sharp.

The photo mailers Ive seen are for photos, specifically. Not matted prints. They're more like a stiff envelope and the corners can bend.

The closest I've found is decent packaging from Uline, cardboard pieces, every box size possible, padding, etc, but I was hoping there was something better/cheaper targeted towards photographers. Uline tends to sell in huge quantities. One product was sold in minimum quantities of 500.

One option would be to include a sacrificial piece...something larger to take the abuse on the sides/corners and somehow secure the work to the centre of the larger piece. Or maybe some sort of corner protectors.

I've bought several photo frames that come with Styrofoam corner protectors.

I've never had to actually mail out anything bigger than 5x7, I usually just hand deliver any bigger orders.

I'm actually looking for something along the lines of a presentation box for a 20x30x2 gallery wrapped canvas that I sold. They didn't have anything at Staples.

I would never trust anyone with framed photo work. Period.

Framed photo work includes a piece of glass which can be broken so easily in so many ways. Which, btw, could easily destroy the print. For shipped photos, depending on their size, they would either go in a stiff box or in a tube. Larger prints need to be matted and framed by the buyer. This can and should be worked out in your sales contract.

There are companies that specialize in shipping art work but if you were to look at their rates, unless you are a top notch photog, you are going to lose all your customers.

Now, if you are doing fairly cheap prints in fairly cheap mats, it may be worth just taking a chance with the best packaging you can find, stamping said packaging with "DO NOT FOLD" and hope for the best which, frankly, happens most often.

Good luck.

This is timely. I'm sending a 16 X 20 matted print to Boston for an exhibit and was looking for a way to do it.

Most reactions

Back