Painting with Light

malachite

Heavily Medicated For Your Protection
Reaction score
2 minutes of painting per color, times 4 colors, plus time to switch gels = 9 minutes of exposure. I now have proof of what I'm doing at all hours of the night......................

Boulder_060304-01.jpg

Yes, it's the Cat rock again...........

a company my dad used to do work for made a fiber optic kit to do this kinda ish

Not that I would understand even for a second how this was done, but I sure like the outcome.
Looks as if the rocks were shining from within. Way cool!

Wow, more compliments. You guys are too cool :p

I've just started doing these a few weeks ago so I'm still learning. My paintbrush is a maglite, my paint is old Cokin filters and studio light gels held on the front of the flashlight with an old off brand filter holder. Set the camera to Bulb and paint away for 1 to 3 minutes per color. When you're done painting, close the shutter, advance film, repeat for another image.

There's a few more details to it but thats the jist of it..................

malachite said:
Wow, more compliments. You guys are too cool :p

I've just started doing these a few weeks ago so I'm still learning. My paintbrush is a maglite, my paint is old Cokin filters and studio light gels held on the front of the flashlight with an old off brand filter holder. Set the camera to Bulb and paint away for 1 to 3 minutes per color. When you're done painting, close the shutter, advance film, repeat for another image.

There's a few more details to it but thats the jist of it..................

Wow. That is really cool. I love hearing about these methods! :D I'm still not sure I get it, even though you explained it carefully and didn't use big words :wink: but I like the end result just the same!

Very interesting and a terrific result!

DanielK said:
Very nice. Does anyone know if this works with a digital camera?

Daniel

Don't see why not, it's just a long exposure and illuminating different areas with different colors during the exposure time.

Cool pictures malachite. The vivid colors work really well against that dark background. I've never seen this effect done before so it's a welcomed site. :D

Vibrant and very out of gamut!!! You have the tech. The exposure seems right on with detail in the stones.

Did you shoot tungsten or daylight balance? Why use Cokin filters?

craig said:
Did you shoot tungsten or daylight balance? Why use Cokin filters?

Been experimenting with a few films, all daylight. This particular one was shot with AGFA Precisa. Found out that the reciprocity with this stuff goes towards the ugliest green you've ever seen. Lucked out with this one however with the overcast sky keeping it blue.

I'm using Cokin filters only because I have somehow accumulated a bunch over the years for free and I never use them. I made a little deal that snaps a holder onto the front of my flashlight so changing colors is a snap in the dark.

Thanks again to all for the compliments. I'm totally hooked on this right now so there will be more to come.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back