PAL Football

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by SouthLand, Nov 29, 2009.

1. SouthLand

SouthLand TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey everyone!

I am just about 6 months into live action shooting and took some of my favorites and wanted some comments / suggestions. This is my son's PAL football team. These were all shot with a D60 with a 50-500mm Sigma.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks! :thumbup:

2. SouthLand

SouthLand TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nothing huh.... I must suck! :greenpbl:

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    No you don’t total suck but there are some problems and this place does not get a lot of sport shooter traffic

The cropping or framing seems is a little tight and so does the composition, Think about leave some space so the composition has a more natural fell

Watch out for Background Clutter, sorry but your #1 as it is is trash, Why becomes dominate crotch and T&A do not work in the background of family photos; if you are any good at photo shop maybe add some blur or cut the player and use the cut out in a collage

Having part or all of the main subject’s face and ball in the shot will add a lot value; Moms like faces, Dad like action, Moms are always right

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. SouthLand

SouthLand TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It took me a second to figure out what you were saying. Then I realized that crouch was supposed to be crotch. ;)

Honestly I didn't even pay much attention to it, but I do see your point. Thanks for that.

As far as cropping, I don't understand? Are you talking about #2? It is a little cluttered because I was trying to get a little of everyone in the shot.

So, the ball and a face in the shot is good. As long as it's not close up? Can you be more specific? So are #3-#5 bad shots, or should there be more background?

Thanks. I appreciate anything, I just wish there were more people leaving comments.

5. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    dang spell check

There are no rules of composition just subjections and opinions

#2 does not have strong main subject, what are your eyes being drawn in too?, the framing/cropping is Ok

#3 the focus is a little soft, the spacing between #21’s right hand and edge of image is a little tight

#4 the spacing between #12 left hand and edge of image is tight, #68 and out of focus foreground is drawing my eyes in

#5 the spacing between helmet and edge a long with the feet and edge are both too tight, plus it’s not the best angle or line of sight

Also what shutter speed and IS0 where you using?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't worry about cropping tight if it's an interesting shot, #1 is only interesting to you because it's your son
    #2 no faces and you can't tell what is going on
    #3 better but focus it is soft on his face, shutter speed not fast enogh for focal length
    #4 to much clutter in the background if you have a fast lens thats not a problem
    #5 not very interesting again
    I think a lot of the problem is you positioning also get lower, i would be kneeling down for these shots and shotting with them coming at me

This is the nearest i have to American football
    here's a kicking shot
    [​IMG]

Tackle shot
    [​IMG]

and a running shot
    [​IMG]

7. SouthLand

SouthLand TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the help fellas! Back to the drawing board.....;)