Pale, High Country Asters

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
The clouds were racing just overhead, this is about 10,500 elevation on a rocky ridge. The moving clouds and overhead tree limbs were creating shifting light and shadows with the intense high altitude sunshine. I liked the delicate look of this one but I'm not sure how to handle it better. suggestions welcomed.

DSC00452re650.jpg

I'm not sure you could do much better.

Anytime you are working with these conditions, which create deep shadows and bright highlights in the blink of an eye, it is going to be challenging. But this is a lovely image. The flowers don't look blown out, and in the corners while there is shadow, you still have some detail, so I would say it's a very good exposure. I also like the composition here, and it's a nice texture-y image, with the wood and all. Nice! :D

That's an amazing shot. Composition is perfect, and I like the way it focusses in on the flowers. The detail is interesting too, without being too busy or fussy.

Technically speaking, I can't comment. Don't know enough yet to start telling others what to do! I love this shot!

I kinda like this, but i think the colours of the leaves are distracting to the subject. Also, the 2 flowers arent that exciting to be the subject, but that area at the centre-bottom to right bottom is actually quite interesting and it is very distracting to the flowers as well.

Oh and one more thing - the light isnt great in this picture, it looks like its lit with a strong flash or cars headlights... shadows are too harsh.
Ive seen your landscape photos, you can do a lot better than this. Just take your time, keep looking, and DO NOT PUSH SHUTTER RELEASE untill ure positive that whats in your viewfinder is the best composition you can get in given conditions.

Actually, I took about 15 shots trying to catch the extremely fast moving light in a reasonably good spot. My buddy was fairly patiently waiting (my dog was clearly disgusted at the waste of time, though) so my time was not unlimited limited on this one. I agree that the leaves are somewhat distracting, they were so pretty I left them bright but maybe desaturating the background a little might work, hmm I'll have to try that.

If you go back to try a reshoot, you might take a white sheet with you and a couple of buddies - have them hold the sheet between the subject and the sun.. it will diffuse the light (like a lightbox in a studio) and soften the shadows... good pic!

That one made me smile. This was way up in the mountains far from any road and I believe it's snowing up there today. Really doubt that I could even remember which ridge it was was, much less find that flower.

My buddy and my bird dog will wait for me to take a picture but I think they'll draw the line at carrying a sheet deep into the forest and holding it for me.

I'm making fun but I do appreciate the lighting tip, I wouldn't have thought of that and may use it in the future.

Dan! The first shot is o lovely! If you could add a buterfly there I would fall in love in this pic... but even withou it that is wonderful! The second one looks like a postcard!

Most reactions

Back