Palletable reflection

PlasticSpanner said:
Please excuse me if this is a silly or basic question but how/why does an object in the foreground of a photo add depth? I've never taken photography classes or anything similar just what I've learned from here and what makes sense to my own eye!

Initially the pallette looked like the kinda junk & crap we get dumped in our rivers in the towns & cities over here but I can see how the foreground object could be almost anything.

Not a silly nor basic question.

Not sure how to explain depth other than imagine a field of grass, the horizon and a blue sky, the picture would look flat. Add something in the foreground and it gives the eye somewhere to start and a length to travel too, add a meandering road off to the horizan and it would give the picture more depth.. Not sure if that is a good example but it is the best I can think of right now.

Photography is of personal choice and preference. I am sure many would prefer the picture without the pallet, as for some it would be a distraction. Many would think the picture stinks, ah well, and that is o.k. with me. I prefered the pallet in the picture. Not only for depth and added interest, put I composed the picture so the pallet leads the eye into the reflection, the pallet added a contrast to a pristine looking lake, the pallets just looked plain old neat to me, as junk often does.

I do not think just anything would work. Instead of the pallet, a turtle, boulder, duck and the like work well. I do not think a stick laying horizontal would work or if the pallet was also horizontal. If a stick was on a diagonal pointing towards the reflection that would also work.

Some I am sure will totally disagree with me, ah well. ;)

Cheers.

Thanks for the explaination!:thumbup:

This explains why my photo of the Norwegien Fjord looked odd when I edited out the posts in the fore ground! I ended up leaving them in because it just didn't look right but I didn't know why! Makes more sense now!:D

I quite like it with the pallette in now I understand why it's there!:blushing: or is it because I just keep looking at it? Weird eh!

Most reactions

Back