Panasonic 12-35mm/f.2.8: Too early?

I rented the 12-35 today and have taken a few shots with it. Fabulous lens - quiet and fast.

I plan to shoot a side-by-side with an old Sigma 18-50 constant f2.8 lens for 4/3 to compare an "old" constant f2.8 lens with a "new" constant f2.8. The first thing that strikes me is the size difference. The classic 4/3 lens is huge, by comparison. The next thing that strikes me is the silence of the 12-35's autofocus motor. You can't hear it at all - and it is near-instantaneous. The Sigma, on the other hand, is clearly audible - and takes a second or more to lock focus. Here are some size comparisons:

View attachment 37035

View attachment 37036

View attachment 37037

And here is a still image comparison:

Taken at f2.8, ISO 1600, focal length 34mm with the Sigma: 18-50

$P1020336.JPG

Taken at f2.8, ISO 1600, focal length 35mm with the Panasonic 12-35

$P1020337.JPG

In addition to its other advantages, if you zoom in on the tree in the background, you will see that the Panasonic lens is sharper and brighter.

On the jitter issue, I tilted the lens down, zoomed it all the way in, turned the OIS off, burned some incense and said a chant - and still couldn't see it at 100% (I don't plan to blow it up to 200%) :) I'll post a full review video later.

After what I have seen so far, I plan to sell both the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and the Olympus 11-22 f2.8-3.5 (and whatever else I need to sell) to buy this lens! That eBay price is the lowest I've seen ($950US/$973CDN).

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I rented the 12-35 today and have taken a few shots with it. Fabulous lens - quiet and fast.

I plan to shoot a side-by-side with an old Sigma 18-50 constant f2.8 lens for 4/3 to compare an "old" constant f2.8 lens with a "new" constant f2.8. The first thing that strikes me is the size difference. The classic 4/3 lens is huge, by comparison. The next thing that strikes me is the silence of the 12-35's autofocus motor. You can't hear it at all - and it is near-instantaneous. The Sigma, on the other hand, is clearly audible - and takes a second or more to lock focus. Here are some size comparisons:

View attachment 37035

View attachment 37036

View attachment 37037

And here is a still image comparison:

Taken at f2.8, ISO 1600, focal length 34mm with the Sigma: 18-50

View attachment 37033

Taken at f2.8, ISO 1600, focal length 35mm with the Panasonic 12-35

View attachment 37034

In addition to its other advantages, if you zoom in on the tree in the background, you will see that the Panasonic lens is sharper and brighter.

On the jitter issue, I tilted the lens down, zoomed it all the way in, turned the OIS off, burned some incense and said a chant - and still couldn't see it at 100% (I don't plan to blow it up to 200%) :) I'll post a full review video later.

After what I have seen so far, I plan to sell both the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and the Olympus 11-22 f2.8-3.5 (and whatever else I need to sell) to buy this lens! That eBay price is the lowest I've seen ($950US/$973CDN).

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Bill, this is amazing. Thank u so much for posting. I am really in need of confirmation as other forums advised against it. But I love the range and aperture. The size is so small in comparison! I am looking forward to ur video review, please do it quickly :) Are u going to post sample video of AF? We have to counter those samples that show jitter ;) looking forward and really thanks as there r no rentals here for me to try hands on....

EDIT 1: Did you check the 2 links (thread and video) I posted above about the jitter? I wonder why is it some have it and some not. I asked the lady who made the Vimeo video called Morocco I posted above and she said she had no issues, but many others did. You think it's safe yet? And you think any difference in Japanese models? What about returns and warranty if it had jitter?

EDIT 2: This review was on Amazon's 12-35 page: "No lens is perfect, any zoom at the shorter end will be less sharp with less even sharpness across the field. If you need the ultimate sharpness (real estate advertising, architecture, landscapes etc) then the venerable 43 Olympus 12-60mm with m43 adapter and manual focusing is your cup of poison. For people who want to draw attention to a central subject these small imperfections are not deal breakers. The charts published on line show that the 12-35mm is almost as good as it gets (Lensrentals mounted on OM-D sample pics compared to Canon 24-70mm f2.8 on 5D MK III and MFT50 peak/average: Olympus 12mm f2 @f/2.8 1000/845, Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 @12mm 875/710 [960/745 @f4], @35mm 865/760 [910/800 @f4], the complete list is more comprehensive)".

I was considering this Olympus at one point and was advised against it. I know with the Oly I'd loose OIS, but would be nice to see a comparison of both lenses? Is it really sharper that much for architecture details etc.. as this guy says?

EDIT 3: Check this opinion I got from a videographer!!!!
"I'm primarily a videographer and use m43 on the GH2 and AF100. I bought this lens (12-35) immediately once it became available.
It's an extremely good lens for video with few caveats. There is some noticeable aperture flicker if you zoom while recording (solution: don't do that unless you intend to cut the zoom). Electronic inertial focus ring makes markable, repeatable manual focus pulls impossible. Electronic iris is steppy, no smooth iris changes possible. Without the lens hood attached, I tend to get my ham fingers in frame at 12mm. The lens cap is particularly gaudy and the rounded tulip hood prevents me from placing the lens securely hood-down on a surface. I have never noticed the possibly OIS-induced shake linked above.
Benefits: reasonably fast aperture, decent zoom range, very compact size, good build, smooth mechanics; autofocus is exceptionally good for a stills lens while shooting video - silent and on the mark. Did I mention how compact it was? Image quality is outstanding - no "...for a zoom" qualifier necessary.
This is simply one of the vital lenses for a serious m43 video kit, IMO."

What do you think about these points?!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Important, read the comments here: [video=vimeo;59358100]https://vimeo.com/59358100[/video]

While I put together my 12-35 review, take a look at this amazing night video shot with the GH3 and the 12-35 (note the lack of moire on the shingles and other complex patterns):

[video=vimeo;60320591]http://vimeo.com/60320591[/video]

Brunerww, this is amazing night video with the 12-35! I love it. But notice at around 0.46 there is shake (could be from his hand?) and also around 1.35 also some shake, and at the very end around 2.08 till end the cars look animated movement (is that an effect or an aperture issue or edit or hand...?). That also could me my laptop video card for HD if this was HD. What do u think?

Kindly have a look at the points I mentioned above. They split equally between highly positive and very negative and angry customers who contacted Panasonic and returned it. Please have a quick look at my posts above while you prepare your video review so you can include maybe some of them.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 vs Sigma 18-50 f2.8 micro-jitter test setup with the 12-35 on the camera:

View attachment 37229

I shot 30 seconds on each lens at 35mm focal length, manual focus, OIS off on the Panasonic, with about 70 degrees of downward tilt:

Here are the results from one of the lenses:

Last edited by a moderator:
And from the other:

I will edit and post the full review in a few days (may take until the end of the week - have to go back to work :))

I'm renting one this weekend. I'll compare it to my 4/3 lenses (Oly 11-22 f2.8-3.5 and Sigma 18-50 f2.8) and let you know how it goes.

But I already know the answer. If you can afford this lens ($967CDN from Japan via eBay Canada, or $1300CDN from Amazon Canada), buy it :)

You won't need another lens for a long time.

I agree...CDN from Japan is an exotic idea..It is durable and it's features are really impressive..specifically it is compact and light-weight as compared to others.It also shows an outrageous brightness over the defined zoom range..

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Emily for your input. Yea it is amazing. We just want to make sure it is not a defective one as many have been having shakiness problems.

Here's a picture of the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 vs Sigma 18-50 f2.8 micro-jitter test setup with the 12-35 on the camera:

View attachment 37229

I shot 30 seconds on each lens at 35mm focal length, manual focus, OIS off on the Panasonic, with about 70 degrees of downward tilt:

Here are the results from one of the lenses:

Brunerww, thank you for sharing all your effort with us poor ones who don't have it for rent in their local store ;)

I seen the 2 videos you posted and shared them on other threads forums (hope u don't mind). I will wait your review eagerly. I am not buying this lens now until I am sure. Also, if we buy from Japan the return/exchange is going to be v hard and I think buyer's expense, right? I wish it was cheaper here. At London Drugs it's 1300. Pity as I like their return/exchange policy.

There is heated debates on this lens all over. To sum up the most useful points I seen:

First, they advise anyone who has issue to go vocal about it and send Panasonic so that they issue a fix even if the problem is small and seen only at certain % or angles. There shouldn't be any problem with such a hefty price.

Second, seems there are certain patches worse than others (obviously) and here are example serial number prefixes:

- Solid rock one by a vimeo reviewer: serial # prefix XT2EA.

Last edited:
Check this good video review (and blog post) in which the lens is recommended for doc work (which what I want it for). Again, so contrasting reviews and recommendations on both sides of the spectrum---positive and negative.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back