Panasonic DMC G1

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Zest777, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Zest777

Zest777 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Has anyone had a play with the new Panasonic body, the G1. It is an SLR-style camera, but has an electronic viewfinder.

I am thinking of buying one, but don't know if it is a good body to learn on.

What do you all think?

2. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I did not have a chance to handle the Panasonic DMC-G1 but I am sure that in terms of features it is as good as any other entry level cameras such as Nikon D40, Pentax K200D, Olympus E420, Canon XTi... As you pointed out, the main difference is the EVF (electronic view finder). I think you need to have a look through that EVF to see if you like it. A preview from dpreview suggests it is quite good (and actually brighter and larger than the view finders on some 'normal' entry level dSLRs) so it might just be a matter of taste. I you are after a compact SLR-type camera, you cannot beat the Panasonic DMC-G1 (it is the smallest on the market). The only problem at present is the small selection of micro 4/3 lenses : I believe that there are only 2 micro 4/3 lenses at the moment (14-54 mm f/3.5-5.6 and 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6 from Panasonic). Olympus is developing a micro 4/3 camera and they will probably offer some new lenses and I believe Panasonic are planning to release a 7-14mm f/4.0 and an exciting 20mm f/1.7 sometimes in 2009. Of course you could use normal 4/3 lenses with an adapter but you will compromise the small size of the package.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    G1's aren't out yet, and i'm not a fan of the 4/3rds sensor, but i'm definatly intrigued by it, dependingo n how small it is, I might be interested as having as my point and shoot.

4. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is cute! Hardly a criteria but perhaps a nice unit for lighter times.. mirror less you know,.. here is a red one.

[​IMG]